making yeast energizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Descender

Reaction score
I was thinking of using the leftovers from a previous batch to make a yeast energizer cheap. Can I just boil it and then add it to a must?

There's a difference between Energizer and Nutrient. Energizer contains some extras (typically) like vitamin B and some oddly named phosphates plus other things I can't think of right now. These are typically used to kickstart stuck fermentations by adding in some "Red Bull" for yeasties.

Yeast nutrient provides primarily nitrogen. (and some other scientific-y things) Nutrient is usually used in the beginning to provide some additional "nutrients" that are lacking in the must/juice/wort.

Boiling yeast and adding it to the beginning is supposed to be helpful, but I've personally never tried it. It's pretty cheap stuff, so I just buy it from the LHBS and leave it up to the pros. ;)

I have plenty of yeast nutrients. Just don't have energizer, and I see it a lot in recipes.

Boiled (dead) yeast, diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, vitamin B complex. I'm sure there are other things that go into commercially produced yeast energizer, but those are the main ingredients.
Regards, GF.

Back