making up for lost marris otter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odin_Brews

Reaction score
So I can't buy Marris Otter or Biscuit and/or Victory for that matter. Im looking at making a Newcastle clone and need to change my base malt from MO to something?

Im thinking 60/30/10 with pale/munich/melanoidin. Any thoughts?

I figure the munich will up my malt flavor and the melanoidin (as a biscuit/victory replacement) might give me that bread/toasty flavor. Im just not sure on the percentages

For the moment Im waiting on a wort to cool for an IPA:mug:

cheers!

Munich and melanoidin are much different that MO and won't help you emulate it. You'd be better off adding about 0.25 lbs of amber malt (per ~5 gal batch) into the recipe or toasting about a pound of the base malt lightly in the oven and using that. That will get you closer to what MO tastes like than munich and melanoidin.

problem is I don't have a mill, I've toasted base malt before and I don't feel like my self crushing gets the flavor out of it. I also suffer in those moments from poor efficiency so I think toasting at home doesn't get me what Im looking for

Back