Making the jump to kegging...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnaBonger

Reaction score
I'm wondering what the most cost effective way to get into a decent kegging system would be? I see a few different options floating around this forum... Keezer, converted dorm fridge or a commercially made system.

I'd literally be starting from scratch needing everything down to the kegs...

I've scoured craigslist for a few months looking for something already intact and at a decent price. The few times they've popped up I was unable to secure the purchase either by being beat out or not having access to a truck to go pick up.

What I really want is a dual tap system. I've priced a new one from kegconnection.com and it came up to $800ish with all the bells and whistles which just seems a little hard to justify...

The DIY aspect of the keezer or the converted dorm fridge approach scares me a little as my DIY skills arent really up to snuff. How difficult are these things to put together and whats a rough estimate on a what all the parts would cost to put one of these together? I don't even really know what parts are required to research it myself.

Scincerly,
a kegging n00b

I did the sanyo 4912 kegerator conversion. It was pretty easy and works awesome.

I bought the followingish:

Sanyo 4912
2 corny kegs ball lock
dual tower chrome tap
12 feet of tubing
2 gas and 2 liquid quick disconnects w/mfl fittings
dual co2 regulator to set different pressures on ea keg
5lb co2 tank

I think that's more or less it. Go ahead and order new o-ring sets and food grade lube, the existing ones will smell like mt dew or pepsi. Get some oxyclean and starsan. There are videos online about how to do the conversion.

I wanna say it was about 600 to make or so. Ended up ordering from several vendors. Got the kegs and regulator off ebay.

The sanyo is nice because it holds the kegs and the regulator all inside the unit. It looks modern and clean as well.

oh, and it's easy to put together, at least this conversion. converting a freezer takes a little more skill as you will likely add a wooden spacer between the freezer and the lid to drill out for taps.

I'd avoid commercial units as they are loud and expensive. A dorm fridge conversion or freezer is ideal.
Freezers are very quiet and efficient, but you will need a thermostat. You can go with a collar for the taps and shanks or use a tower. A disadvantage of the freezer is lifting kegs in and out, and if you have a tower, you will need clearance behind the freezer to get the lid open.
If you are looking to save money keep an eye on craigslist for parts and the classified section here.
To do a freezer collar it's pretty simple to build or have a friend build a collar out of 2x4 or 2x6. Drill some holes for the shanks and gas in line. Some of the thermostats are pre wired.
Co2 tanks can be found for less at fire safety shops, look around. Get a quality regulator.

when I did the jump to kegging, I bought a brand new kitchen chief 7.4 chest freezer, 6 kegs, all the hardware to have three active tabs on their own regulator and have all the kegs carbing. I built my collar out of a pine 2x10. Cost was around $600.00.

Best 600 bucks I ever spent.

Back