Making the jump to kegging, Opinions needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulmac

Reaction score
Hey all, making the jump to a keg setup, and I have narrowed it down to 2 packages that look good, and meet my budgetary limits:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kegg...draft-system-with-reconditioned-co2-tank.html

http://www.homebrewing.org/Kegging-system-Ball-Lock-with-2-kegs-picnic-faucets-5-_p_1502.html

Figured I would check in with the hive mind see if one looked better than the other. I want to stick with Ball lock, which the one from homebrewing.org mentions, while the one from midwest doesn't, although the size (27" with disconnects) seems right for ball lock. Also The one from homebrewing.org has the option for MFL disconnects, while the other does not mention. The advantage to the ones from Midwest supplies that I can see is that they are refurbished tanks, as opposed to just used. Nice to know the o-rings are replaced as I have heard that can be a pain to do yourself.

Anybody had any experience with either set up that can push me in the right direction?

Thanks

My vote is for the Midwest, easily. Here's why:

They are both Ball Lock (You can tell by the picture, and the fact that pin locks have been scarce for a while now)

The Midwest kit come switch a DUAL regulator set! So you can carb at different pressures. The other kit appears to only have a single stage regulator. (It's a dual GAUGE regulator, not a dual stage regulator...)

Midwest kicks ass...

Honestly, the second stage on the Midwest kit seals the deal for me.

My vote is for the Midwest, easily. Here's why:

They are both Ball Lock (You can tell by the picture, and the fact that pin locks have been scarce for a while now)

The Midwest kit come switch a DUAL regulator set! So you can carb at different pressures. The other kit appears to only have a single stage regulator. (It's a dual GAUGE regulator, not a dual stage regulator...)

Midwest kicks ass...

Honestly, the second stage on the Midwest kit seals the deal for me.

I agree. I'd go with the Midwest also because of what was stated above by Homercidal.

Yeah the midwest setup is actually three pressures. One primary and two secondary. It is VERY useful with 2 kegs to have another secondary regulator.

I know I keep wishing I had a second pressure. But I can't force myself to buy a second stage with other "needs" in the way right now. I wish I'd bought the option when I bought my regulator. It's a PITA to keep having to swap gas lines on beers with different carb needs, like the Wheat beer I'm going to have soon, and the Mild that's going in with it.

i just got this system from midwest and so far everything looks good. I kegged my first beer last night and it in the freezer carbing up now.

Just a few things.

Check your shipment. They didn't include any of the hoses and fittings. I had to call and they were nice enough to overnight them.

Mine looked good with very minor dents, but they came with stickers which I removed with some oxyclean and a razor blade. I don't understand why midwest has to put their stickers on them...

I also bought all new gaskets for both kegs. When I took apart the kegs some of the small gaskets had tears in them so I don't think they replace those.

I went with this set up:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kegg...systems/dual-double-cornelius-keg-system.html

From what I read online the regulator is better and worth the extra money. Out of stock right now, but they get stuff back in frequently.

Back