Making Priming Solution Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard of doing it a few hours before bottling but my question pertains mainly to making larger batches of solution and storing it in a sanitized 2-liter or something of that sort. I'm always looking for ways to streamline the brewing and bottling process.

Has anybody made a large batch of solution and stored it for future use? Would there be any adverse effects from doing so?

If you're going to do this I would recommend canning it in a pressure cooker in order to ensure you aren't breeding germs before priming (similar to people that make large batches of starter culture wort).
I don't think you'll save enough time or energy to make it worthwhile.

How would bacteria or anything that could affect it negatively survive the boil as well as a sanitized vessel, though?

Everything I can think of why it would be bad idea just doesn't make sense but I also don't know the properties of storing a sugar-water solution for long periods of time. The only thing I can think of is the sugar can fall out of suspension but how if it's fully dissolved? I can't think of a reason it wouldn't work but that's why I'm asking the smarter collective. :)

Brain fart. Yes, if you boil the sugar/water and put it into a sanitized container you should be fine. I force carbonate kegs so I was forgetting the boil step of preparing priming sugar for bottle conditioning :)

The amount of sugar in a priming solution shouldn't come out of solution even if you freeze it. Worst case it might settle into water and sugar-water regions (like brackish water floating on seawater), but that would take a long time and simply stirring would redistribute things.

My take is don't risk beer you've already waited a month or so for to save yourself 20 to 40 minutes.

Back