Making pear cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOYDBrew

Reaction score
The pear cider I've made had turned out best when following a normal cider recipe. It did fine in higher alcohol recipes(added sugar) but lost the distinctive pear aromas. Just try a plain cider with yeast before jacking it all up with unnecessary sugar. With that said pears have some naturally occurring sorbitol (unfermentable sugar) so they will finish slightly sweeter.

Lastly, you get what you pay for. Finding the cheapest juice isn't always the best thing. Make sure you drink some before hand to see if is bland or lacking something. Whenever I see a bottle of cheap transparent juice I shudder. Not saying you can't make something good out of it but generally the end product is only as good as the ingredients. Hey, if it is all you can get right now, fine, we all compromise when we have to. But if you can, get your hands on some real unprocessed juice, you'll be happy you did.

Back