Making My Own Bourbon Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w0732400

Reaction score
So my favorite beer is a bourbon barrel aged stout. I know that you can buy a used bourbon barrel from places even as small as 5G but my situation was different. I was going to be deploying for 12 months starting in November of 2012. So I thought what a cool project that I could do while I was away and wouldn't have to try and not drink it haha. So I purchased a medium char virgin white oak barrel. I filled it with 5 Gallons of Kentucky Gentleman. No its not the greatest bourbon but I couldnt afford to buy anything much more expensive than that not 5 Gallons worth anyway. I filled the barrel with just below boiling water and sat it in the spare bathrooms tub. It did seep leak for the first few days as the wood swelled. From there I drained it and filled it with bourbon. I left my dad 3 extra handles and he topped it off throughout the year. I think it only soaked up about 1.5-2 if I remember right. I wanted to get the bourbon out sooner but life kinda got in the way. I had the first beer ready to go into the barrel in May of 2014. So the bourbon had been in the barrel 18 months. I racked the bourbon out of the barrel and into a carboy and put the first beer straight in which was a New Hollands Dragons Milk Clone. I let it age for close to 4 weeks. When I decided it was done I racked the beer out of the barrel into a carboy and racked the bourbon back in and let the bourbon sit again for 4 weeks in the barrel because my second beer wasnt quite ready to go in. I repeated the process above and put the second beer in. It is almost done. I couldnt resist at this point and I started to consume the bourbon. It is very very smooth and significantly better than when it went in the barrel. I was hoping it would maybe pick up a little bit of stout flavor but it didnt really at all the stout wasn't in the barrel long enough. New Holland I believe sells a "stout aged bourbon" but in their barrel sizes it probably does soak up some stout flavor but this one is to small so the beer doesn't stay in it long enough. I guess at this point I am debating what to do with the barrel as I feel the barrel is probably close to the end of its flavor imparting life. I got 10 Gallons of stout and 5 Gallons of better bourbon than I started with so I feel the $120 for the barrel was spread evenly across multiple good returns.

I saw these made from a larger bourbon barrel and they are really cool I was kinda thinking about cutting it in half and putting a piece of glass over the top after finishing the inside and making some small end tables or something. Still working that idea out I guess.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=484126

This was a really fun project that produced great results!! I have the first batch of beer that came out aging in a carboy and the other will be the same I probably wont touch them for another couple of months but then I will keg and force carb but I want to bottle some off the keg and do something cool with the bottles maybe dip them like makers mark or something I dont know I will post as they progress.

image (13).jpg

image (16).jpg

image (17).jpg

It tastes good at this point but it's still a "green beer" it needs more age I'll post the recipe when I get home later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How do u transition it from bourbon flavor to sour, most sour beers are put in wine barrels?

Fire Breathing Dragon BBS (Dragons Milk Clone)

Wood Aged Beer (22 C)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 7.00 gal
Boil Size: 10.32 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Vol: 8.32 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 6.25 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Three Stage

Date: 27 Apr 2014
Brewer: Adam
Asst Brewer:
Equipment: Stainless Kegs (10 Gal/37.8 L) - All Grain
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 82.3 %
Taste Rating: 30.0

Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amt

Name

Type

#

%/IBU

18 lbs 0.3 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 67.1 %
2 lbs 13.2 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.5 %
1 lbs 6.6 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 3 5.3 %
1 lbs 5.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.9 %
1 lbs 5.3 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.9 %
1 lbs 5.3 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.9 %
9.6 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.2 %
1.52 oz Glacier [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 16.1 IBUs
0.95 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 21.7 min Hop 9 14.9 IBUs
1.40 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 11 -
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) [124.21 ml] Yeast 12 -

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.097 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.027 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 9.3 %
Bitterness: 31.0 IBUs
Est Color: 43.6 SRM

Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Temperature Mash, 2 Step, Full Body
Sparge Water: 5.15 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE

Total Grain Weight: 26 lbs 13.5 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps

Name

Description

Step Temperature

Step Time

Protein Rest Add 33.56 qt of water at 129.3 F 122.0 F 30 min
Saccharification Heat to 156.0 F over 15 min 156.0 F 30 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 10 min 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.15 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Two step profile with a protein rest for mashes with unmodified grains or adjuncts. Temperature mash for use when mashing in a brew pot over a heat source such as the stove. Use heat to maintain desired temperature during the mash.

Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Keg
Pressure/Weight: 12.54 PSI
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 45.0 F
Fermentation: Ale, Three Stage

Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Carbonation Used: Keg with 12.54 PSI
Age for: 30.00 days
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

Notes

The second beer I did was a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Clone which I think is better than the dragons milk clone but we will see as they both age a bit.

The second beer I did was a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Clone which I think is better than the dragons milk clone but we will see as they both age a bit.

Two of my favorite beers. Dragons Milk is really easy to find locally; Bourbon County Stout is like a unicorn anymore.

How do u transition it from bourbon flavor to sour, most sour beers are put in wine barrels?

Do a quick google search for "bourbon barrel aged sour". You'll find plenty of ideas.

Back