Making my honey ale again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJekyll-HomeBrew

Reaction score
I am remaking my honey ale reciepe and this time around i am adding sweet orange peel (1/2 oz), juniper berries(maybe 1/2 tsp.), and i was thinking of corriander but maybe not. i wanted to know the times in which to add them and if the amounts were right. i wanted the reciepe to be between a honey ale and a belgian abbey blonde. i am using american yeast.

should i also crush the juniper berries? how would i properly crush them?

ok im probably going to crush the juniper and corriander with a spoon and i am going to add 1/2 oz of orange, 1/4oz of juniper(1 1/2 tsp.), and 1 tsp of corriander.

Heya,

There is a nice article from BYO on "Brewing With Spices". It includes an Excel spreadsheet with numerous suggestions for spice amounts & boil times.

I've not used Juniper yet, but it says to boil them for 60 mins. And to keep it around 1/5 oz. for a 5 gallon batch.

Orange peel & crushed Coriander should be the last 15 mins of the boil.

Good luck!
--LexusChris

I recently made a brew with orange peel, orange blossom water and corriander seed. I added 1/2 the corriander seed at 15 min and the other half at 5 min. The orange peel and orange blossom water was added at 4 min. It came out very nice but not too spicy.

Latest posts

Back