making bottles into glasses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njale

Reaction score
i havent tried it but pretty sweet. You can do it on wine bottles also, probably liquor bottles as well. Cups, vases, candles, ashtrays

CE_beercup04-16-2013072.jpg

http://366daysofpinterest.com/2012/04/03/day-63-diy-corona-glasses/

http://seriouslyforreal.com/more/turn-your-beer-bottles-into-glass-cups-5-easy-steps/

bottles.jpg

Hm. I've made a point to keep at least one of any interesting bottles I get... and I'm going to be needing glassware for my man cave...

I have one if those cutters as well, picked it up at a thrift store. I just cut this bottle after seeing this thread.

It takes some patience, but turned out pretty good. I'm gonna practice on some twist top bottles before I try another bomber like this

ForumRunner_20130818_135012.jpg

I remember a Ronco commercial back in the 70s about this. I thought back then that it was a good idea, but not something everyone could do.

i read if you score the bottle, you dont need to do the string on fire method. You can just score the bottle, slowly pour some boiling water over the score, than run under cold water

i read if you score the bottle, you dont need to do the string on fire method. You can just score the bottle, slowly pour some boiling water over the score, than run under cold water

I am going to use a boiling kettle and a kettle of ice water; dip back and forth to break- sand clean.

Damn I might try this tonight sick of thinking about it. Good excuse to clean the kitchen.

This is exactly how I do it. You will have to grind and bevel the glass though because it will have a sharp edge.

Cheers
Jay

I remember a Ronco commercial back in the 70s about this. I thought back then that it was a good idea, but not something everyone could do.

I had one of those kits (or one like it) back in the early '70s. It had a glass cutter mounted on a roller device onto which you laid the bottle sideways. Set the cutter to whatever height you wanted to cut, rotate the bottle and it scored a line around it. Then you inserted this tapper thing inside and tapped against the inside wall along the line and followed it all the away around until it separated. If all went well, the crack would follow the scored line. Then sand the edges with crocus cloth and you were done.

Sometimes we would epoxy the neck part to the bottom to make a really fugly "stem glass."

"Crocus cloth". That could be a name of a heavy metal band or something you make magical armor out of in an RPG. I had to look it up.

If you heat the bottle up in hot water first, then quickly score and dunk under a cold faucet, it will crack great. My friend's dad had one of these and I used it a few times. I once cut a Coke bottle in half and siliconed the bottom to the inside of a fish tank and the top half on the outside, so it looked as though the coke bottle was stuck into the side of the aquarium.

Best thing I've seen on the internet this week!

They... are not....as terrible as.... they look? I am surprised; I guess I do have a soft spot in my heart for cheesy metal.

Great name btw... I love me some stout.:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think its possible to cut a oval shape where the label usually is than recap to make it a ashtray that lays down horizontal. I dont know if you can get it to cut there without the bottle breaking

It could possibly be done with a water jet, but even then, not sure. We cut thick glass on our water jet at work, up to 1" thick, but our machine is not capable of cutting something tube shaped, like a bottle, there are machines that can do it, just not ours.

Back