Making a double ipa- here's what I have so far! Feedback? Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beardown

Reaction score
My 1st double IPA- and tips advice is appreciated
5.5 gal batch

Grain- Beersmith gives me 1.075 og // abv 8%

8lbs light lme
2lbs light dme
1.5 lbs corn sugar
.75 lbs crystal 40
.75 lbs carapils

Hops(wanna use all simcoe 13 % aa)beersmith 99ibu
3 oz @ 90 mins
2 oz @ 45
2 oz @ 30
1 oz @ 5
2 oz @ boil off
Dry with a few ounces as well at 2ndary

Yeast
Wyeast1056

I've heard Simcoe is not a good bittering hop. Switch to Magnum, Columbus, or Warrior and adjust amounts for desired IBU's.

I would move 45 and 30 minute to 5 or less minutes and bitter with Magnum or something else..

That's what I was thinking as well... then most of the double IPA recipes that I looked at were heavy on the 90-45 and very light on the 5 min,, hmm

Agree with the first two entries.

Also -

I would drop the carapils. Crystal 40 in that qty does a great job all by itself. LME and DME will have some dextrines in it as well. Just my opinion, but the carapils is really not needed. My last three DIPA's were basically 14lb base, .75lb 40L and I had loads of lacing, head retention and body.

IMHO - a heavier grain bill will already produce enough head retention without the need for carapils. If you are going to add it, knock it down to 4 oz or less.

What about the corn sugar? Seems to get the og where I need it ... any experience with the using this? I have none

With corn sugar, I use it to get back up to desired gravity. or simply fortify the gravity depending

When I use it to get gravity to target, I do it this way:

If target pre-boil gravity for wort is say 1.058 at 7.5 gallons, that is 58*7.5 or 435 gravity units. gravity units = (SG - 1) * 1000)

If actual pre-boil comes in at (heaven forbid) 1.050 at 7.5 gallons, that is 50*7.5 or 375 gravity units low.

I am now down 60 gravity units. (435 - 375 = 60)

As a rough estimate, corn sugar will get about 43 gravity units per pound. So in this case, 1.4 lbs corn sugar will get gravity up to target (1.058)

For me, I cringe at using that much and will stop at a pound just out of principal. For 7.5 gallons in the boil, a pound will still get me a pre-boil gravity of 1.055. That is close enough for me. I would rather be a hair low then do to much and mess something up.

All that being said, I see you already have 1.5 lb, so for DIPA, should probably be fine.

Awesome thanks - another question- when should the corn sugar be added, does this matter in the beersmith calculation? Thanks

I've heard Simcoe is not a good bittering hop. Switch to Magnum, Columbus, or Warrior and adjust amounts for desired IBU's.

What about Simcoe do you not like as a bittering hop? I've never had any issues with it, personally. It's used in a bunch of commercial examples as well.

Yea I'm a big fan of simcoe all around and wanna do this one with using only simcoe - thanks

Back