Making a comeback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLL

Reaction score
Hello. I've brewed beer since I was very young. I grew up in on a small farm in southeast Texas where the climate catered to a lot of natural sugar sources so almost everyone had carboys of wild fruit wine growing up. There were also vineyards and wineries all around which were some of my first jobs. I had so much brewing equipment by the time I was in my early twenties that my brother and I rented first a barn, then a warehouse we called our "brewery" and we brewed for peoples weddings, party's and anything that gave us an excuse to brew a lot or brew something new. After awhile we attempted to open a legitimate farmhouse brewpub type operation on the old family farm, but ran into some issues with local legislation. It's a long story. I moved out west where I began a professional brewing career. I've worked for 4 breweries in varying capacities; brewer, technical director, and as a consultant. It was a hard time for me. I ended up working for some crumby breweries and some of the crumbiest people. It really took the beauty out of brewing for me and showed me a side of the industry that is slimy and doesn't care about the beer, their people, or even the people drinking it. After several years I left and made a career change because I didn't want anything to do with any of it anymore. I still have the system I was using when I was younger. I used it in a couple breweries for R&D, but I haven't touched it in over a year. Even tried to sell it and all the stuff I've collected over the years, but no takers. Recently I've been rediscovering the joys of great beer and realizing that I still love brewing and the brewing community, but the business of beer is just no place for me. I thought this would be a great place to reconnect with that community, so here I am. I'm glad my stuff never sold. I've had some beers on the mind for a long time now that I think I should finally brew.

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and look forward to exchanging knowledge and experience with everyone. I believe firmly that beer is about community. The brewers in urban garages and rural barns are the ones making the greatest beer because their motivation and influence is not tainted by the elements of branding, marketing, demand, financial reports, or legality. They brew what they like for the people they like and historically that is much truer to beer than the beer market that thrives today.

If you haven't noticed, I've got a chip on my shoulder. Many local breweries are great and I'm glad there's some good ones around. At the very least they're good for their free, fresh yeast.

Welcome to the HBT community. This is a great place. I’ve been brewing for a few years and everything I’ve learned is from reading here and experience. I’ve brewed some really delicious beer, and some not so...
There a few chips (cow and otherwise) around here. Just don’t mess with Yooper, she’ll lock you in the outhouse;-)
Cheers

Christ man. Thats a big chip.

If you grew up in south texas, you speak spanish?

Christ man. Thats a big chip.

If you grew up in south texas, you speak spanish?

I grew up a lot closer to Louisiana than I did Mexico. There were french and spanish speakers growing up, but unfortunately I didn't pick up much spanish.

It's a shame you had to deal with the dark side of brewing. Being back in home brewing, you can do what you want, how you want. Welcome.

Thanks for the welcomes. I've still got friends in breweries from whom I can easily get ingredients, mixed cultures, maybe a couple barrels, etc. I'd like to start entering some of my work in competitions later this year. It's good to be back.

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

I don't get the impression you have a chip on your shoulder at all. In fact, it sounds like the bad experiences are behind you, and you dealt with it the best way you could. You have a positive outlook with some good ideas about what brewing should be all about--community. Your experiences will be valued here. I hope to hear more from you.

The question usually is not whether a person speaks spanish, but whether they speak English!

OP, welcome BACK to brewing! Your going to love this forum.

Im not entirely clear, is this a racist joke or a stupid one?

Back