makin hoche

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatsup717

Reaction score
Hello I am looking for recipes like granpa made , without all the shop bought stuff, for beer or wine . Any old timers out there.

whatsup717 said:
Hello I am looking for recipes like granpa made , without all the shop bought stuff, for beer or wine . Any old timers out there.
I guess you have had no replies on this one......I was kinda interested on making some (hooch) myself.....There is bound to be some kind of recipe where you can use corn syrup, molasses, honey, oats, sweet feed, I will keep my ears open, if you hear of anything let me know.

I've heard that back in those days, they didn't make much beer...mostly liquor (bathtub gin and such)...quality wasn't a concern, as long as it did the trick.

rightwingnut said:
I've heard that back in those days, they didn't make much beer...mostly liquor (bathtub gin and such)...quality wasn't a concern, as long as it did the trick.

Bathtub Gin.....great song......but, to get back on-topic, before I started researching homebreweing, I was poking around different sites to learn about making that stuff. The resources are definitely out there...trust me!

I remember a recent article (either in Zymergy or Brew Your Own) about prohibition brews. It had a bunch of recipies for bootleg beer. I'll do a quick look around, and let you know if I can find it.

alot of the old timers have taken their recipies to the grave. i hear stories about my grandfathers making their own shine, but nobody knows the recipes. ;)

t1master said:
alot of the old timers have taken their recipies to the grave. i hear stories about my grandfathers making their own shine, but nobody knows the recipes. ;)

My Grandpa used to make his own beer. Very primitive and he used potatoes - I'd have to ask my dad how the process went. I was just a little kid - but remember it being a very salty taste.

A lot of turn-of-the-century homebrewers got their supplies from the number 1 brewery in the States - PABST!

It came in cans just like it does today.

The "hooch" you may be referring to is what the Germans call "obstler". "Obst" means "fruit"

It's made by using a large ceramic container covered with a wooden lid which allows the CO2 to escape (and to keep the insects out). You add fruit, a bit of water and some yeast. Throughout the summer you add more fruit, any type of fruit you want. It'll ferment all summer long. Afterwards it's strained and placed in bottles. I've heard of some people adding a bit of vodka also.

I've never made it. The instructions are just from what I remember my Germans friends making comments on how they make it.

Back