Makgeolli Seoktanju, a Lavender-Lemon korean traditional Rice Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwrheault

Reaction score
Hi, I recently bottled my first Seoktanju Makgeolli. I did a Lavender-Lemon Mak Iyangju.
MITSUL
500g Mepssal rice freshly wet milled which I steamed for 40 mins to create a rice cake
1250ml water
200g Nuruk
Placed in a fermentor (Hangari)
This fermented for 2 days with vigorous stirring twice each day and covered with a breathable cloth and Hangari lid, kept at an average 22C temp.
On the third day I strained the Mitsul and placed the filtrate back into the fermentor.
DEOTSUL
1kg steamed and cooled to room temp Chapssal rice,3/4 tsp of bread yeast, 1 juicy sliced lemon and a generous handful of dried Lavender blooms were added to the fermentor and stirred vigorously twice a day for two days and covered with a breathable cloth and the Hangari lid. Because the Hangari with the lid on is light free I could place the Hangari anywhere in the house to keep it at temps between 20C-24C.
After the final stir on what was now day 4 I covered the fermentor with a non breathable plastic film held with a rubber band and the Hangari lid.It was then left for an anaerobic ferment for 13 days. It was checked and tasted daily for yeast activity and flavors.
I then strained and bottled it in swing top bottles. The bottles were left at room temperature with th caps I place but not clamped overnight. The next day they were clamped and refrigerated.
The Seoktanju 惜呑酒 had a floral sweet start and a tart Lemon finish and was creamy smooth. With some research and help from some very knowledgeable people I found out that this form of Makgeolli has ancient origins. The name implies that one would regret swallowing the brew because it has such a delicious flavor. The traditional brew did not contain my flavor combination but it does lend itself to floral or fruit fusions.
I would love to see other recipes for Seoktanju AKA: Seoktangju, Seoktanhyang.
25CF82C5-42C9-4A94-8D1A-B3B451DF414B.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back