Make your own AG equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's quite a few Do-It-Yourself threads right here on HBT. There's a whole section dedicated to them.

As for the cooler, it will work great. Those coolers are extremely popular, however, most folks suggest the 10 gallon version. With the 10 gallon version, you can brew 5 gallons of ANY beer and 10 gallons of many beers. With the 5 gallon version, you may be a little bit limited when it comes to the really large beers.

I would at least by the 10gal cooler. I have the 10 round Gott cooler, and now wish I would have gone even bigger! 10 Gallon beers are really difficult, and most impossible, to do with this cooler. Just a heads up, as going bigger now will end up saving you money down the road if you want to take this thing to the crazy level.

Home depot often has the 10 gallon rubbermaid coolers, over with construction site stuff (marking paint, lawn flags, etc)...near the lumber.

Walmart has cheap coolers as well. I got a 13-gallon Rubbermaid that claims to keep things cold for five days for $26.

I also got an 8-gallon aluminum pot for $20. It's very thin, but it works just fine.

I got that same 5 gallon Rubbermaid one and used it for the first time yesterday. Worked great with a 13lb grain bill. I would call that about the max though. I got mine for $15 at Wal Mart, and it was hard to pass up. I was really looking for a 7 gallon Rubbermaid, but they're nowhere to be found around my parts right now, and I assume I'll just get a 10 gallon one down the road and keep the 5 gallon one for lower gravity brews. Nothing says you can't have both.

Back