Major foamage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis2008

Reaction score
Still pretty green at brewing im fixin to bottle my 6th batch of maple porter. all of my other batches have been wicked foamy to the point where if u take a drink it completly fills your belly lots of burping. Foams over my mug. I have been using kits so far with cane sugar should i just add less cane sugar to this batch?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wash the heck out of these bottles bleach n dish soap then i soak in a sanitizer. I heat a small pot on the stove with little water and cane sugar and add to my bottling bucket then transfer beer from carboy

Most of the kits will send 5 ounces of priming sugar and for many beers, that's too much. I use this calculator and weigh out the amount of sugar it calls for or just a bit less. http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Yea you should use a chart to calculate how much sugar you need based on the style of beer, current temperature, and total volume. IMO, 5oz is way too much sugar for priming. I use dextrose (corn sugar). I find this calculation chart to be very helpful.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Thanks im about to look at these calculators then get this beer bottled!!

I prefer the Northern Brewer calculator. I was comparing the 2 links on this thread, and it looks like they are similarly set up, but the one on TastyBrew gives lower C02 volumes, so it will suggest less sugar than the NorthernBrewer calculator.

Just looked at the northern brewer calculator these kits come with and suggest using 5 oz and according to this calculator i only need about 3 no wonder it has been so foamy appreciate all the input gonna get waylon going on pandora and put some beer in some bottles! Hells yea

Five ounces of corn sugar for priming may not be your problem if you are bottling a full five gallons of beer. After bottling do you have a full five gallons in the bottles? Has your primary time been sufficient to reach final gravity, and then a few more days, before bottling. It is possible you may have some fermentation finishing in the bottles.

The five ounce packets included with the ingredients may also be more than five ounces. Weighing the priming sugar is the only way to go.

I agree with those who are saying to double check your bottling volume.

I had a friend who used the full 5 oz. for each of his beers. Most came out fine, but his chocolate stout was always overcarbed. Turns out that he had much bigger trub loss due to the chocolate and he was bottling less than a full 5 gallons.

Double check the volume and weigh things out using the measurements from online calculators and you should be good.

I would not rule out infection if the bottles have never been cleaned with a brush and rinsed immediately after pouring.

Back