Maitake/Hen of the woods beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewer dad

Reaction score
I have a bunch of Maitake in my freezer, been reading The Homebrewer’s Almanac and Radical brewing which have gotten me interested in using mushrooms in beer. Anyone with experience or suggestions?

I started a tincture tonight via radical brewings instructions for their chanterelle ale, just with the Maitake. Will report back. I have a couple pounds left so might do some in boil too. I am fortunate enough to get a good amount every year so not too worried about it.

What limited commercial examples I could find were all on the lighter end of the srm spectrum, which somewhat surprised me. Some IPAs and a smoked blonde. I was thinking more of a brown or darker, but now wondering if the Maitake might be overshadowed.

I’ve sent some emails to breweries but no repose yet.

Last edited:
My guess is you might end up with some funky flavors.

That can be a good mushroom if picked young enough, plenty of ways to cook it without trying to add to your beer.

Well in some ways that is what I’m going for. It’s definitely one of my favorite culinary mushrooms, but this is a 2020 batch in my freezer so using as an excuse to experiment a bit while clearing out some space.

Update in case someone else ever wonders about this.

I pulled the mushrooms out after two weeks and the jar has been sitting in my fridge since. At first the alcohol dominated everything else which I found strange being it was very cold. But since then the flavor has mellowed and now have an interesting mushroom with real light coconut/maybe something that lies between earthy and light chocolate. It’s a little funky for sure.

I have some beers on the brew list that will be bottled and a couple will be lightly dosed with this. I think a brown ale or dark mild will be the starting point.

Back