Maillard Malts, who's used em'

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Croyzen

Reaction score
It looks like Maillard was trademarked by Northern Brewer in Nov, 2013. Is this repackaged grain under a new name? A new product? A result of the NB/Midwest merger? Anyone know anything details about these malts. Anyone use them and have opinions? Thanks!

I posted this question like last week or so and didn't get much response. All I could find out is the product seems to be from Briess.

Thanks. Maybe someone will chime in. I was considering ordering enough for a few batches to try but wanted to get some opinions first. Of course my NB catalog goes on and on about how good they are.

I've brewed 3 beers with them so far, an esb, saison and a black ipa. The esb and the saison just went into the secondary yesterday and the flavor was spot on. Also I typically get around 70% efficiency, but have been over 80% with all 3 of these. Not sure if this is do to the quality, or if I am just finally getting my process dialed. Hope this helps some.

Thanks. It does. I thought I was ordering traditional German malt, so when that showed up, I was a bit surprised.

I received these on an order from NB and I didn't notice any difference in them from any previous malts I've used.

I'm going to be brewing a Munich Northern Brewer smash in the next few weeks. I'll let you know.

I just received a shipment from NB yesterday that included 6 lbs of crushed grain each in their own 1 LB Maillard Malt bag. Each package contains the packaging date. Crystal 10 was packed on 2/19, Vienna on 2/12, 2Row on 2/19.
Is it common for grains to be crushed well in advance of shipment?

Got 1lb of caramunich from NB of the maillard stuff for a BDSA. BDSA is still conditioning, but the spoonful of the grains I chewed on tasted really good.

There's only so many malting companies. Northern Brewer, in the spirit of NB, appears to have taken an already existing product, given it a fancy but meaningless name, and then sold it as if it is something new. I saw this in their last catalog and it looks to be the same malt they've always sold before but in small bags with a fancy label.

I just received a shipment from NB yesterday that included 6 lbs of crushed grain each in their own 1 LB Maillard Malt bag. Each package contains the packaging date. Crystal 10 was packed on 2/19, Vienna on 2/12, 2Row on 2/19.

Yes. They have a warehouse full of pick and pull inventory most likely. Malting companies also sell bulk sacks of malt preground. Generally these are used fairly quickly since crushed malt doesn't keep as long as whole malt.

Got about 5 batches under my belt with this. Agree with others, just a fancy name on an old product. Still, my malt profile tends to be stronger. Brewed my tried and true super-hoppy DIPA from last year, this year, the malt profile almost completely swallowed up the hops.

Munich appears the same.

There's only so many malting companies. Northern Brewer, in the spirit of NB, appears to have taken an already existing product, given it a fancy but meaningless name, and then sold it as if it is something new. I saw this in their last catalog and it looks to be the same malt they've always sold before but in small bags with a fancy label.

Yeah, I think this. A few bags of my last order were C-120 in Mailliard Malt bags but they said Briess right on them. Interestingly the simpson's malts and flaked grains I ordered were in plain bags, but this was a couple months ago so maybe they were using up old stock.

Yeah, I think this. A few bags of my last order were C-120 in Mailliard Malt bags but they said Briess right on them. Interestingly the simpson's malts and flaked grains I ordered were in plain bags, but this was a couple months ago so maybe they were using up old stock.

Those new bags are stupid and a waste of packaging. Just give me the cheapest please!

Just to expand on what others have said, NB is still selling the exact same malts as before -- same companies, same varieties, all sold under the banner of "Maillard Malts." Maillard Malts is just a packaging/branding thing they are doing so that they can sell quality malts from major maltsters under the Northern Brewer name. In their description of what Maillard Malts is, they don't describe it as a malt producer, but rather as some sort of specialized grain crushing service (with a nod to the fact that they ever-so-meticulously put those grains into a bag for you). Kind of ridiculous, if you ask me, but I guess I'm happy for them that they got some fancy grain mills... Here's the quote, straight off of their site.

"Maillard Malts™ is committed to offering the best malt selection in the homebrew business.
Maillard Malts™ sets a new standard for crushing. Our high performance European made grain mills feature dual drive, large diameter, slotted rollers. These mills produce a consistent particle size so you get a more uniform crush with a lower proportion of under crushed grains and flour. These mills also leave the husks more intact than traditional knurled, single drive roller mills. A finer crush provides better extraction efficiency, without sacrificing 'spargability'.
Each bag of grain is processed to exacting standards. We process in very small batches, measuring by hand. Our grainery staff fills, seals and labels every bag with a level of care unrivaled in homebrewing."

EDIT: I do like Northern Brewer, for the record. Lots of good stuff. But sometimes they can just be downright silly.

I'm wondering this myself. I recently ordered grain from Morebeer.com and called customer service to see if they would double-mill the grain. She said they don't custom mill because the grains are pre-milled. An alarm went off, so I asked her how long they keep pre-milled grains and she said up to six months! She did further explain that they have a high volume so it wouldn't normally stay on the shelf that long.

Does anyone know how they seal them? Are they purged of O2, or just sealed?

I want to know if I should keep them in the bags they came in, or vacuum seal them in my mason jars for better storage.

Thanks.

Does anyone know how they seal them? Are they purged of O2, or just sealed?

I want to know if I should keep them in the bags they came in, or vacuum seal them in my mason jars for better storage.

Thanks.

They don't appear to be purged in anyway. I'd vacuum seal if you are worried

It has been a couple of years since this was posted but I was wondering if we ever found out who was making the NB Malts .. or the Malt Extract? My LHBS is out of Briess Rye Extract and I'm considering the Maillard alternative and wondering if there will be any perceptible difference.

My understanding is that no one new is making the NB malts or extract. It's just repackaged and relabeled stuff from all the usual maltsters.

A good way to find out what the original brands actually were is to use archive.org.

Here's a link that will take you to NB in early October, 2012, before they created the Maillard brand. Whatever they used then is likely the same they use now.
https://web.archive.org/web/20121009103947/http://www.northernbrewer.com/

Granted, that doesn't explicitly help you with the extract question, but I imagine any other non-corporate HBS should be more than willing to tell you who was the maltster for any particular product. Shop around elsewhere, and you'll likely find exactly you are looking for at a reasonable price.

One of the forum sponsors, homebrewsupply has it: http://www.homebrewsupply.com/briess-rye-lme-3-3-lb.html

HBS might actually be owned by the same individual that owns HBT. I've not asked, nor really investigated, but they do hail from the exact same town, so it is possible. ;)

I've gotten Weyermann's, Briess & some others in the Maillard Malt bags. I order the malts I want, & they come in Maillard 1lb sealed Ziploc bags. I keep'em in their bags, sealed or zipped in a dunnage tote on the bottom of my steel shelf. They've lasted several months uncrushed that way.

Latest posts

Back