Mail order smack packs in winter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILuvIPA

Reaction score
Is it a bad idea to order smack packs mail order in freezing temps? I'd be ordering 2 states away. . .3-4 days fed ex. Daytime temps are mid 20's, nighttime going to mid-teens.

Bottom line, does it harm Wyeast if it freezes?

My other option is to drive 70+ miles round trip. Thanks!

I live in Fairbanks and we're running about -20 right now. I assume that my LHBS gets its yeast via truck shipment. It seems to still be working, so mail order should still be OK.

I didn't know it would be a problem when I ordered them. I smacked 3 packs yesterday morning that froze during shipping. (-18 when delivered) 12 hours later, one was inflated, 24 hours after smacking, 2nd was inflated. Third still as flat as when I smacked it.

I don't think I can post pictures yet, but this is the three after 12 hours.

This is my first experience with any liquid yeast. I went ahead and pitched dry. :(

What was the strain of the yeast that didn't expand? I had a Belgian Abbey II that didn't expand for 48 hours and then only barely expanded... Made a starter and 24 hours later had one of the most violent fermentations ever.

You should be building a starter with liquid yeast even if you picked up the smack pack from the lab. If some of the little guys didn't make it through the chill, you can still build up enough viable yeast to pitch with those that did survive.

What was the strain of the yeast that didn't expand? I had a Belgian Abbey II that didn't expand for 48 hours and then only barely expanded... Made a starter and 24 hours later had one of the most violent fermentations ever.

Wyeast Kolsch Ale 2565 is the one that hasn't done anything.

I am wondering if the ones that did expand should even be used. Seems like if they were healthy they should have been inflated after a few hours.

They're fine. If it expanded there are live yeast. The whole point of the smack pack is to prove the yeast viability. There are live yeast in the one that didn't expand. They may be just working on a different time frame.

I've never had a problem (Wisconsin) but I do try to time things so the yeast is not sitting in a truck over a weekend. If it's REALLY cold I'll order on the weekend so it'll be on the truck Monday.

I've had a few WARM weather packs never expand but they did great!

I always have a yeast starter.

I live in Grand Forks, ND (one of the coldest cities in the lower 48) and ordered from midwestsupplies.com (awesome) when we had temps around -20 to -30. The smack pack that I ordered inflated beautifully!!!

The OP says, Thanks guys! Appreciate the replies & thoughts. (It helps - we newbs are long on intention & short on confidence!)

This forum rocks and I'm learning a lot. FWIW, got all my equipment together, have downloaded Beersmith, and have settled on a first recipe. First brew to follow!

Back