Maharaja Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you need to use some bullion hops for this to be an authentic clone...

Since when? And says who? Not Avery, from the website:
Beer Style: Imperial India Pale Ale
Hop Variety: Simcoe, Columbus, Centennial and Chinook
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, caramel 120L, victory
OG: 1.090 * ABV: 10.24% * IBUs: 102
Color: Dark Amber
Availability: Seasonally produced from March through August. 22oz. bombers, 1/6BBL and 1/2BBL kegs.

Why would they go through the trouble of updating their website every year when they redo the recipe if its just a marketing tool? Or why would any brewery go through the trouble...

Again - please feel free to come visit Boulder and tour the brewery. Just past the bright tanks on the left is the cooler. You will find said Bullion hops snuggling inside.

Bullion hops aren't all that well known and don't quite spark the interest or draw that your usual suspects in an American Imperial IPA do. You will regularly find breweries that do not fully disclose their recipes on their websites, other marketing material or even the very package it comes in.

Would you like me to take pictures inside the Avery cooler the next time I'm over there?

Again - please feel free to come visit Boulder and tour the brewery. Just past the bright tanks on the left is the cooler. You will find said Bullion hops snuggling inside.

Bullion hops aren't all that well known and don't quite spark the interest or draw that your usual suspects in an American Imperial IPA do. You will regularly find breweries that do not fully disclose their recipes on their websites, other marketing material or even the very package it comes in.

Would you like me to take pictures inside the Avery cooler the next time I'm over there?

To be fair, I know you hang out there and all, but the recipe that Avery gave out at their society meeting is posted earlier in the thread and I also have a copy at home which is the same. Maybe they did change it recently, but this is an old thread, so who knows...I'll ask one of the brewers at the strong ale fest next weekend if they changed it, but these recipes certainly are a Maharajah clone, just maybe not Maha 2010...:mug:

K I don't know how else to explain this... the website means jack when they don't have the exact hops quoted on said website and it's time to brew : Avery is a small brewery, like many in Boulder. These breweries, one of which I work with, run out of hops on a pretty regular basis due to low storage space and the fact that we use TONS of hops. Bullion just so happens to be a good substitute for Columbus. Bullion is ALWAYS around in the Avery cooler. You can ask the brewer and they'll spout off the recipe posted on the website. Reality kicks in when you're due to brew a batch of Maha and you don't have all the hops you posted on your marketing tool...I mean... website. See ya at Strong Ale Fest. Cheers.

I have the recipes from 2006 and 2008 in my notes. They are different. 2009 was definitely different than 2008 (I didn't like something about last years batch...) due to changes in hop availability as well as the hops themselves. Widmer blends a bunch of hops to keep their brews more consistent from year to year, whereas small guys like Avery don't.

I don't see this as a problem as a consumer. But it does make it a challenge to replicate the brew since it is a moving target. :)

K I don't know how else to explain this... the website means jack when they don't have the exact hops quoted on said website and it's time to brew : Avery is a small brewery, like many in Boulder. These breweries, one of which I work with, run out of hops on a pretty regular basis due to low storage space and the fact that we use TONS of hops. Bullion just so happens to be a good substitute for Columbus. Bullion is ALWAYS around in the Avery cooler. You can ask the brewer and they'll spout off the recipe posted on the website. Reality kicks in when you're due to brew a batch of Maha and you don't have all the hops you posted on your marketing tool...I mean... website. See ya at Strong Ale Fest. Cheers.
\

I didn't say anything about the website, and I didn't say that they don't use Bullion now or haven't in the past, I'm just saying that the recipe, on a piece of paper, that they gave out in 2009, was listed above in the thread. So maybe Maja 2010 has bullion, but as far as Avery brewers (who I know well) are concerned, the recipe didn't have bullion in 2009.

By your reasoning, it would be impossible to ever brew a 'clone' of Maha because the recipe is constantly changing. What if I want to clone the 2008 batch...which is likely what the OP wanted to do. Did it have bullion in 2008...have you looked at the brewing notes from those batches?

That is exactly what I was saying.... Thanks for backing me up Colorado and Saccharomyces. Granted, I'm not saying they have never used Bullion in their Maharaja because they were out of Columbus for a batch or two. However, each year they use different hops and are nice enough to "market" me their hop choices on their website. And with this, I think that they would consistently use the same hops in their beer as they do your "marketing" pages.

I think the statement you made initially is the challenge:
you need to use some bullion hops for this to be an authentic clone...

Substituting Bullion for Columbus is one thing. Stating you can't make an authentic clone without it is another.

LOL - Ok guys. Nevermind. Trying to be nice and give some local inside track certainly wasn't appreciated. Enjoy your clones. :confused: Try not taking this stuff personally and you may gain some insight. Laters.

LOL - Ok guys. Nevermind. Trying to be nice and give some local inside track certainly wasn't appreciated. Enjoy your clones. :confused: Try not taking this stuff personally and you may gain some insight. Laters.

No sweat here! Just sayin. :)

Hold on to your knickers, Florida dude. I live down the street from Avery. They use Bullion. A website is a marketing tool, not a place to find recipes verbatim.:tank:

Hold on to your knickers, live down the street from Avery dude.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/750
Jamil interviewed Adam Avery. According to Adam the hops used in the Maharaja are:
Columbus
Centennial
Simcoe
Chinook

So although
axlrose16 said:
Bullion is ALWAYS around in the Avery cooler.
it could be for a different beer.

Going to try brewing this monster for my next brew. Aside from Southern Tier's Unearthly and DFH's 120min, this is far and away one of my favorite IIPA's! Yummmmmm...

To those who have brewed this:

Is a starter absolutely necessary? I won't have time to make one. I plan on pitching a tube of white labs California yeast w/ nutrient but should I pitch 2 or will one vial be sufficient to achieve the necessary FG to get to 11% abv...?

To those who have brewed this:

Is a starter absolutely necessary? I won't have time to make one. I plan on pitching a tube of white labs California yeast w/ nutrient but should I pitch 2 or will one vial be sufficient to achieve the necessary FG to get to 11% abv...?

For a beer this big, a starter is the way to go with liquid yeast. If not, you'll need more than three tubes of WLP001 to approach the proper pitching rate....seems like a waste of $$$ to me.

I would go with 1.5 packs of S-05 and forget about the liquid yeast and starters. This will give you the proper cell count at a fraction of the time and cost for what is basically an identical yeast strain.

g-star said:
For a beer this big, a starter is the way to go with liquid yeast. If not, you'll need more than three tubes of WLP001 to approach the proper pitching rate....seems like a waste of $$$ to me.

I would go with 1.5 packs of S-05 and forget about the liquid yeast and starters. This will give you the proper cell count at a fraction of the time and cost for what is basically an identical yeast strain.

Thanks for the reply g-star. I had considered using the dry yeast, I just wasn't sure if it would attenuate out completely but as you pointed out it's basically the same strain just dehydrated.

I had also considered using Nottingham due to it's aggressive fermentations and high attenuation rate but I know that doesn't quite follow the lines of this recipe.

Thanks for the reply g-star. I had considered using the dry yeast, I just wasn't sure if it would attenuate out completely but as you pointed out it's basically the same strain just dehydrated.

I had also considered using Nottingham due to it's aggressive fermentations and high attenuation rate but I know that doesn't quite follow the lines of this recipe.

Def. don't use notty for this brew, and you will not have to worry one bit about us05 attenuating out, that stuff chews through wort and is just about perfect for that beer or any beer that needs wlp001 as a substitute.

Wyeast 1028 (or WLP013) is closest to their house yeast. I know from experience if you follow the recipe and mash at 151*F you will hit your FG exactly with it. US-05 or Nottingham are acceptible for dry yeast.

Wyeast 1028 (or WLP013) is closest to their house yeast. I know from experience if you follow the recipe and mash at 151*F you will hit your FG exactly with it. US-05 or Nottingham are acceptible for dry yeast.

I listened to the CYBI podcast with Adam Avery, and he said they use 1056 Chico yeast and mash at 148F. The grain bill is something like 85% 2-row, 9% DME, 3% Crystal 120L, and 3% Victory malt. The only hops they use are Columbus (bittering), Centennial, and Simcoe (no Bullion like someone was insisting). OG = 1.085, FG = 1.011. As previously suggested, a massive amount of dry hops too.

I brewed this a couple days ago. Not sure what happened but my efficiency was absolutely terrible. Had problems right from the get-go with my mash temps. Initial temp was 135 so I had to boil an extra gallon of water which brought it up to 150. Afterward I suspected my thermometer was the culprit as the temp dropped a degree every 5 minutes without the mash being stirred and with MLT lid closed.

Also, LHBS was out of Simcoe so I had to substitute with more Columbus (based on the advice of one of the guys who worked there)

Anyway, OG came in around 1.070 leaving me with an efficiency of around 53% :( On a brighter side, this tasted out of this world and packed such a hop punch it almost tasted like this thing was already alcoholic. It's bubbling away happily in the fermenter...

I've been through this entire thread and there are umpteen different recipes to this beer. I have never tried it but want to brew it cause my Colorado buddy says its his favorite. Can someone post the MOST recent (2011) clone for this in 5 gallon batch? I prefer partial mash recipe, but I guess I will deal with an AG. And if possible, all hop schedules dry hop schedules, yeast type and starter sizes would be appreciated. For what its worth, I BIAB and I have 2 7.5 gallon pots and once I gather all my wort I have a turkey fryer propane burner so I can boil full amount. THANKS!!!!

boomtown25 said:
I've been through this entire thread and there are umpteen different recipes to this beer. I have never tried it but want to brew it cause my Colorado buddy says its his favorite. Can someone post the MOST recent (2011) clone for this in 5 gallon batch? I prefer partial mash recipe, but I guess I will deal with an AG. And if possible, all hop schedules dry hop schedules, yeast type and starter sizes would be appreciated. For what its worth, I BIAB and I have 2 7.5 gallon pots and once I gather all my wort I have a turkey fryer propane burner so I can boil full amount. THANKS!!!!

I used what truckmann posted which is slightly varied from the OP's recipe. Can't say for sure how it will turn out since it's still fermenting but it smelled and tasted awesome from the sample I pulled.

If you do brew it, do yourself a favor and keep a couple lbs of DME on hand and test your pre-boil gravity. If it's too low you can use the DME to bring it up and get close to the OG.

Also, Simcoe is apparently out of season so I was unable to use it, had to substitute. You may have better luck...

I feel spoiled - I live three minutes from the brewery, and drink lots of Marajha after my tests :) They've got a new one coming out this Friday, a triple-dry hopped version. Usually I end up walking home...and Friday won't be any different :D

kinkothecarp said:
I feel spoiled - I live three minutes from the brewery, and drink lots of Marajha after my tests :) They've got a new one coming out this Friday, a triple-dry hopped version. Usually I end up walking home...and Friday won't be any different :D

You should feel spoiled, that stuff is like nectar! Easily my favorite IIPA out there. I am lucky that I can drive 25min to get it from the beer store but they don't always have it in stock...

^^^ Hook us up! ^^^

:)

Glad I decided to do some research on this recipe again. I did a clone of Maharaja two years ago. It was excellent.

Right now, I'm making a 3000mL starter of 1056 for a 5.25gal batch and I decided to see what others have done with this clone over the years. I was about to build a grist of 94% 2-row, 3% victory, 3% 120L but maybe I'll wait and see if corn sugar can help. I've seen some recipes use corn sugar to offset the 2-row and dry the beer out some more.

I found the podcast...

OG 1.085
FG 1.010-1.012
10.5% abv
SRM: 14.1
Carb. 2.5

85.2% 2-row
3.1% C-120
3.1% Victory
8.6% DME

Mash Temp: 148-deg
Single Infusion

Hops
60min boil

@60min Columbus (44IBU) 25% util 11lbs 13.9
@30min Columbus (35IBU) 20% util 11lbs 13.9
@ whirlpool Simcoe (15IBU) 5% util 22lbs 12AA
@ whirlpool Centennial (10IBU) 5% util 22lbs 8AA

Chico 1056 - pitch massive, 02 the sh*t out of it

Ferment at 70-deg for four days
diacytel rest
Decrease temp

Rack

Dry-Hop for 7-10 days (rouse hops every couple of days)
44lb Simcoe
22lb Centennial
22lb Chinook

Use salt concentration as a regular IPA

yep that's it. I believe that is the 2011 recipe.

Scaled down for the homebrewer (just in case you don't have 88lbs of hops for the dry hop) :):

6 gallon batch
OG: 1085
Carb 2.55 volumes

15lbs 2 row pale malt
.55lbs crystal 120
.55 victory malt
1.54lbs DME light

Mash at 148 for 50 minutes

60 min hop Columbus 15%AA 1.2oz
30 min hop Columbus 15%AA 1.2
Whirlpool 20 min hop Centennial 10.5%AA 2.4oz
Simcoe 2.4 oz

Dry Hop:
Simcoe 4.8oz
Centennial 2.4oz
Chinook 2.4oz

Yeast 1056

Did I miss anything? I'm going off my notes.

just tasted this today.... hot damn thats a good beer!!! i may have to attempt this when i get my new mash tun.

Just racked this to the keg and threw in my 7oz of dry hops! Hot damn, this tasted delicious even for as green as it is. FG came in at 1011 so I was right on the money there. Really wish I would have hit the OG but I'll just call this one a "baby" version..lol! Hopefully getting my own grain mill will help with efficiency issues...

Also, this was my first time cold-crashing in the fermentor, zero trub or yeast sucked up and that was with my racking cane sitting right on top of the cake...think I'll be doing this from now on.

Can't wait to try this in another month or so....:rockin:

Looking into brewing this recipe soon, but will probably use the 2011 recipe. Anyone tried both or is there any difference? I bought 4 lbs of hops, so I plan on putting them to use here. It seems like the older version had way more hops up front. I still don't use any software yet, but need to get some soon.

Back