Mah ears are ringing and Im pretty buzzed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
AND I LOVE IT! Holy wow, these are the things I (almost) forgot about being a drummer (turning 35 next week) Ive played with my share of bands, and Ive been fortunate enough to have played all over the world (thank you US Navy)

At any rate, I havent played my drums for close to a year now (this happens from time to time when you have been playing as long as I have) and tonight I got a chance to play with some guys I found on CL. All was awesome for the first few hours, playing the oldies and 'classic rock' hits. Well, after the 'older' guitarist of the group went home, me the bass player and the other git-fiddleist got the **** down with old Metallica, Godsmack and other harder **** like that. My bread and butter... (That makes my joints hurt today) :drunk:

Man, that was tits. And my ears are ringing... And Ive sucked back 3 22s of Stone Ruination... At 7 bucks a bottle this is a very tasty buzz (and satisfying!)
-Me

As soon as I moved up from the casual one gig a week to 3-4 nights a week, I went and got me some proper silicone molded earplugs made up with 9dB filters. Best $150 I ever spent. How do I know? I can still hear and have no tinnitus even after blasting a 200watt monitor 16" away from my face.

As soon as I moved up from the casual one gig a week to 3-4 nights a week, I went and got me some proper silicone molded earplugs made up with 9dB filters. Best $150 I ever spent. How do I know? I can still hear and have no tinnitus even after blasting a 200watt monitor 16" away from my face.

Meh, I think that this is going to be my next purchase... Too many years of this crap is going to make me go deaf sooner than I want to. (But then again if Im still married by this time it might not be such a bad thing!)

Man, I am rather sore this AM now... I almost forgot how much of a workout playing can be!
-Me

Meh, I think that this is going to be my next purchase... Too many years of this crap is going to make me go deaf sooner than I want to. (But then again if Im still married by this time it might not be such a bad thing!)

Man, I am rather sore this AM now... I almost forgot how much of a workout playing can be!
-Me

not quite as comfy as customs but they do the job for a fraction of the price
Etymotic Research er20

Agreed on that. The reason I justified the $150 for the ER-9s was that I was going to wear them up to 4 nights a week and I have narrow ear canals that get sore from regular plugs. The other reason was that I really need the 9dB drop and not 20. I first tried the 25dB filters and had to exchange them because I was requesting the monitors be way too high. The ER9s basically just take the edge off and after you get used to them it doesn't really even seem like you're wearing plugs at all. I'd leave them in between sets while the DJ spun and I could still carry on normal conversations. If you're encouraged to take them out for any reason, you know the padding is too much.

Agreed on that. The reason I justified the $150 for the ER-9s was that I was going to wear them up to 4 nights a week and I have narrow ear canals that get sore from regular plugs. The other reason was that I really need the 9dB drop and not 20. I first tried the 25dB filters and had to exchange them because I was requesting the monitors be way too high. The ER9s basically just take the edge off and after you get used to them it doesn't really even seem like you're wearing plugs at all. I'd leave them in between sets while the DJ spun and I could still carry on normal conversations. If you're encouraged to take them out for any reason, you know the padding is too much.

They also just released smaller universals. I think they are called baby blues. I am not sure if this will work on the plugs but I used to cut the smallest tip off of my er4s tips and that made them more comfortable for me.

I always wore headphones, and had my monitor channel switched into there.

No monitor taking up room on the stage, and no more earplugs.

I would have liked to go that route also but I just couldn't depend on the venue having a spare monitor mix available to me. The nice joints had a 16 channel board right on the stage dedicated to the monitor mix and did have earbuds for those situations but it was like 10% of the time.

Back