Magnesium in water supply

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sithdad

Reaction score
My local water report doesn't have Mg listed and according to the water dept. they are required to test for it. Is there any way of calculating it from values that I do have or should I just send a sample out and have it tested.

Do you have the total hardness? About 30% of the total hardness is Mg, the rest is Ca. The ratio varies a bit in different waters, but 30% will get you close.

If you have the total hardness and the calcium hardness you can just subtract the calcium hardness from the total hardness. The difference is the magnesium hardness. If you have a calcium mg/L number convert it to calcium hardness by dividing by 20 and multiplying by 50. For example 30 mg/L calcium is 30*50/20 = 75 ppm as CaCO3.

If you have a complete water report except for magnesium you can estimate magnesium by calculating the amount of cation required to balance the profile. This is very iffy as a complete water report would list magnesium, all other ions must be measured and roundoff and other measurement errors will be interpreted as more or less magnesium. Best to send a sample off.

I can do a very gross calculation based on alkalinity. You have 78/50 mEq/L calcium and 136/50 mEq/L bicarbonate so if there is nothing else in the water you would have (136-78)/50 mEq/L magnesium. But I'm sure there is lots of other stuff in there as well like sodium, potassium, sulfate and chloride. I need the total hardness to do the magnesium calculation as anything better than a total WAG.

That's the problem. I called them and they don't have the total hardness either. Just the alkalinity.

Sodium - 1.9
Sulfate - 10.0
Chloride - 12.0

It would take 19.4 mg/L Mg++ to balance the other ions you have listed but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that estimate. $25 to Ward Labs answers your question much better than I can.

Back