Made My First Raw Beer.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Made my first raw beer a few weeks ago as an experiment using Hornindal Kviek. I have to say it's an acquired taste. But it does grow on you.....

20221003_173806.jpg

What was your basic recipe? And what about it would you say is an acquired taste? I made a raw ale years ago but it had brett, lacto and other crazy stuff in it, plus I aged it for several months, and ended up blending most of it. so I didn’t really get a good grasp of how the raw aspect affected the overall profile, other than a fuller body.

I used this one Recipe: Bygland For the Love of Kveik

I think the taste is down to the yeast as it had the same smell when first adding it to beer wort. I am sure others who have used Kviek Honindal might be able to better describe it. Best I can say it is almost borders on an off taste, but not quite. Not very helpful I know.... This matured for about 4 weeks.

I used this one Recipe: Bygland For the Love of Kveik

I think the taste is down to the yeast as it had the same smell when first adding it to beer wort. I am sure others who have used Kviek Honindal might be able to better describe it. Best I can say it is almost borders on an off taste, but not quite. Not very helpful I know.... This matured for about 4 weeks.
Further to this. I remember when I first tasted it, it reminded me of an Imperial Blonde that I made using a lot of honey. It was strong and has a sweetness to it.

I made one beer with a supposed Kveik yeast that I bought on ebay a year or two ago and it was the only beer I’ve ever made that I couldn’t get down. It was also a very difficult smell/flavor to describe, intensely phenolic in a sharp musty way, almost like a combination of rotting tomatoes, bleach and bakers yeast. Far more funky than anything I have ever experienced in a mixed fermentation or brett beer. I’m assuming the dried culture was infected because I can’t imagine anyone intending for a beer to have those flavors/smells.

I made one beer with a supposed Kveik yeast that I bought on ebay a year or two ago and it was the only beer I’ve ever made that I couldn’t get down. It was also a very difficult smell/flavor to describe, intensely phenolic in a sharp musty way, almost like a combination of rotting tomatoes, bleach and bakers yeast. Far more funky than anything I have ever experienced in a mixed fermentation or brett beer.
Yes I agree it's the yeast. Mine is not as bad as that it was a branded Kveik, so it's drinkable. But it's a one glass night beer before moving on to something else. It's got one of those 'not sure if I like it' tastes, but temps you to keep trying.....

Back