Made my first bad brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
Well I was off deer hunting and had to leave my brew in the primary for 2 1/2 weeks. I went to put it to secondary today and I had beer vinegar. Well down the drain it went. What went wrong? I posted before I left and was told that it should be fine, it tasted good before I went. Any advise.:(

beer vinegar is usually the product of bacterial infection. acteobacter metabolize alcohol into acetic acid (i.e vinegar)

Yuri_Rage said:
Malt vinegar is really good on french fries.

You hit the spot Yuri, that sounds good right now.

I wish I had some piping hot steak fries and a bottle of malt vinegar in my hand...

I've wondered about making my own malt vinegar. Any suggestions on a base beer? I assume (we all know how dangerous that can be) that any clean mother will work to turn the beer into vinegar.

How much beer character will show through into the vinegar?

BTW: if your beer went bad in 2 weeks away it would have gone bad eventually anyway. Unless or course the fermenter was sitting open.

dantodd said:
I've wondered about making my own malt vinegar. Any suggestions on a base beer? I assume (we all know how dangerous that can be) that any clean mother will work to turn the beer into vinegar.

How much beer character will show through into the vinegar?
I have no idea exactly where to start with this, but I would probably use a simple amber ale or English brown recipe - probably an extract one scaled down to 1 gallon. There are "mothers of vinegar" available at a lot of online HBS sites, and they tend to be tailored to the type of vinegar they are supposed to create. Couple the two, and I bet you'll have some pretty decent results.

That actually sounds like a great idea. I think that will turn into a winter/spring project for me!

don't forget to store in a dark place air tight. don't want that precious vinegar turning to water!

mmmm... French Fries with some homemade malt vinegar, along with some ribs slow cooked all day long sprayed down with homemade cider vinegar? followed by an apple crumb cake made with a honeybrown? man, i can't wait for summer. i miss it already!

then again i'm saying this as i'm eating smoked salmon from a friend/co-worker on sharp cheddar and crackers and I will be tapping a pumpkin ale soon. I guess this time of year ain't so bad after all! :cross:

I was doing some looking into making malt vinegar and found a brewery that makes different malt vinegars from their beers. One is made from their IPA. I'll see if I can find a link. I would like to give it a try as well. I figure doing a small batch, maybe 2 gallons just to make it worth the time and then give it away as gifts if it's any good.

Edit: found it!

http://www.spinnakers.com/brewpub/maltvinegar.htm

Back