Made a sugar mistake, need advice.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanduskyRiver

Reaction score
I didn't see a forum category for "Made a Mistake" so I'll start here and see what lashing I take for my indiscretion. I was brewing an all grain batch of Limesicle Ale yesterday that called for lactose. I wish I could say I had a few brews to drink but nothing to blame but haste for grabbing the pound bag of priming sugar instead of lactose that I dumped into the boil. This was a big grain bill with expected ABV of 7.5% before the sugar. I'm hoping this will be one of those happy accidents where you look back on a beer that turned out okay despite your best efforts to screw it up. My main concerns, will WLP001 have the guts to tackle this much sugar? Should I pitch it again with champagne yeast? Not wanting to throw good money after bad I held off on the lactose. My thinking is I can boil some water on the stove to sterilize the lactose and add it later, assuming it tastes better than rubbing alcohol. Has anyone ever added lactose this way and is there any reason not to?

Was it actually a full pound of priming sugar?

Sugar for 5 gallons would only be 5 oz or so.

Even at 1 lb, it only raises abv by approx 1%, so your yeast should be ok.

I didn't see a forum category for "Made a Mistake" so I'll start here and see what lashing I take for my indiscretion. I was brewing an all grain batch of Limesicle Ale yesterday that called for lactose. I wish I could say I had a few brews to drink but nothing to blame but haste for grabbing the pound bag of priming sugar instead of lactose that I dumped into the boil. This was a big grain bill with expected ABV of 7.5% before the sugar. I'm hoping this will be one of those happy accidents where you look back on a beer that turned out okay despite your best efforts to screw it up. My main concerns, will WLP001 have the guts to tackle this much sugar? Should I pitch it again with champagne yeast? Not wanting to throw good money after bad I held off on the lactose. My thinking is I can boil some water on the stove to sterilize the lactose and add it later, assuming it tastes better than rubbing alcohol. Has anyone ever added lactose this way and is there any reason not to?
meh it'll be fine.
just a bit stronger.
add the lactose if you want. I don't like lactose sweet stuff personally but I don't see why you couldn't add it whenever as it isn't fermented.
a pound of sugar isn't anything to get too upset about.

Was it actually a full pound of priming sugar?

Sugar for 5 gallons would only be 5 oz or so.

Even at 1 lb, it only raises abv by approx 1%, so your yeast should be ok.
It was a full 1# pouch of priming sugar. Same size pouch as the lactose they sell and I grabbed the wrong one. Not even sure what made me look at the label as I was tossing it. Would have wondered later where my priming sugar went. Thanks for the reassurance.

The mistake you made was better than trying to prime with the lactose. :p

I don't see why adding the lactose later wouldn't work. Taste the beer, if you think it needs to be sweetened up, then add the lactose.

Brew on :mug:

Back