Mad Elf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Javan

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Went in to the store last night for something to drink. The first thing I saw was Troegs Mad Elf!

Oh how I love this time of year when it comes out.
Oh how I hate when I have to pay for this stuff
and lastly,
Oh how I cry when it's all gone.

I first found this beer a few years ago and fell in love with it. It is a beer to be indulged in lightly as it has a heck of a kick (11% ABV does that), but for me at least, it is a beer that makes me sit, relax and smile smile smile. I am now thinking that cloning this might be my goal in getting back into the homebrew hobby.

Had one so far, followed by a true gentleman, now a Duck Rabbit Milk Stout.

The Elf was nice, like seeing an old friend. Sadly I could not relax while enjoying. Perhaps tomorrow.

Its soo f-ing close to beer o'clock... so close. 10.5% imp. stout from a local brewery in my glass when I get home.

20181019_175659.jpg waiting for me when I got home. Wife poured it about 15 min ago. Just about to drinking temp. Didn't even ask, its just like she knew.

Best wife in the world!

So who got off at 5:30 and went to the only place in town stocking Mad Elf for the holiday season? :ban:
They had three full cases and a fourth that had been partially raided before I arrived.
The big downside - the price. Two sixpacks cost $34 and a full case $78, plus tax.
Damned scalpers.

...but this ain't no ordinary beer.
Oh no, it's one-of-a-kind happy juice, it truly is. I'm sure they heard me singing on the way out the door, even after being bushwhacked by that damned Elf.

Had one so far, followed by a true gentleman, now a Duck Rabbit Milk Stout.
The Elf was nice, like seeing an old friend. Sadly I could not relax while enjoying. Perhaps tomorrow.

My Elves got hidden, waiting for the opportunity of a cold winter's night. When the first frost or freeze arrives, it's brewing season for me. Right now I'm agonizing over a bock-inspired recipe for a winter beer of my own and trying to decide which strain of yeast to use.
Thanks for tipping me off today, I'd almost forgotten the release date.

I had three this weekend. Yesterday's was the best as I was able to enjoy while sitting outside in the sun, with a light breeze and perhaps 50deg. It was so nice, so wonderful. I had a Troegenator afterwards, then supper, where I made the huge mistake of having a glass of red wine. WOW, I felt like a train hit me last night.

I remember last year, I went into a store to pick some up (Early December) and the guy said they were out. He said it was gone in less than a month. So, I called around. Wife's company xmas party was that weekend and there was a beer distributor just down the street. I called and they said they had 3 cases left. I stopped on the way to the part, and picked up the last case. My wife about fainted when she saw how much I paid for that stuff.

If you asked me 20 years ago if I'd pay that much for beer, I'd say you were insane. Now that I have done it a few times, sadly, I am getting numb to it. BUT, I still want to get back into brewing. I have the passion for different beers, now just have to find the time to get it started.

The Mad Elf is a one-time thing for me.
No way any would get bought regularly at the price they're sold at here. High gravity beers (and sours) aren't my thing but once in a while it's OK. The last six pack of commercial tripel bought - Golden Monkey - lasted me just over a year. The 5 gallon session beers I do last less than a couple months. I have to be up and moving around before the sun comes up so ABV is an issue.

Back