Low temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yashicamat

Reaction score
As the nights are getting colder here, the overnight temperature inside the house is often dropping to 14/15 degrees C (about 59F). By about 8am the temperature is up to about 20 deg C (68F) and will keep at about that (with maybe a few degrees lost here or there during the day when the heating is off) until about 12am when the temperature will slowly fall off again.

My question is that while I am aware that too warmer temperatures can create off flavours, do too cooler temperatures do anything similar? Or will the yeast just be going a little dormant during the night and wake up again during the day?

Thanks.:)

Any yeast works much better if you have the right temperature for the type yeast used but the temperature should be constant for best results. When yeasts are stressed by fluctuations in temperature they do not do as well. You really need a controlled chamber for best results.

I dont think that 59F is going to put the yeast to sleep, maybe slow them down a touch but definitly not make them stop. Just remember that the temp in the fermenter is staying at a more constant temp then the air.

Yeah this is what I thought. I think it's probably less of a problem with the 6 gallon batches as the sheer volume of wort probably retains heat quite well, plus the fermentation is making heat too. It's the smaller 1.3 gallon "test brews" that I do. I shall have to see how these turn out! It's been getting down to 42F now outside so the temps are dropping a fair bit indoors too.

Thanks for the advice.:)

Back