Low Oxygen Sanitizers for Kegs - Sulfite? or Sulfite & Saniclean mix?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unicorn_Platypus

Urine I Pee... Eh?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've gone down the low oxygen rabbit hole. When I keg, I purge the receiving keg by filling to the top with saniclean and then push all the sanitizer out with CO2. I do have cut gas diptubes, so I am able to push almost all of the sanitizer out at the end.

However, I do realize there will inevitably be some residual sanitizer left that will have dissolved oxygen in it. Ideally, I'd like my sanitizing solution to be free of DO without having to preboil it.

I'm thinking I could add some Na-Meta or K-meta to the saniclean to rectify this. If I were to do this, does anyone have a sense what the proper dosage would be for 5 gallons?

Alternatively, I know wine makers use high doses of K-meta as a sanitizing agent when bottling wine. Would this also be an effective sanitizer for kegging? If so, maybe I can ditch the saniclean all together. Thinking the saniclean / sulfite mix might be the best though as it would reduce the amount of sulfite that would potentially make it into the finished beer while still having the low DO benefits.

Additionally, how much contact time would the sulfite need at 60 degrees Fahrenheit to fully scavenge oxygen? Assuming it doesn't scavenge as quickly at room temp as it would in the mash, but not sure.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Surprised-montage.gif

I am a little curious about this, though I have not noticed issues with oxidation due to remaining StarSan solution. This guy purges his kegs with water treated with a small amount of Sodium Metabisulfite.

Back