Low original gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joon75

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a brewers best smoked porter. When I was trying to get the OG I got a reading of 1.050, eight points lower than recommended OG. What did I do wrong? Is this going to affect the taste of the beer? Can I do something when I move the beer to second fermentation? Your advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks!

It's difficult to say waht you did wrong without knowing what you did. Did you use all the extract in the kit, and rinse the LME containers into your pot. Did you use the right amount of water, or did you add some extra? Maybe you misread your hydrometer? The taste probably won't be off by much, but the alcohol content may be lower. Once you measure the final gravity, you'll know.

I did you use all the LME but did not rinse the containers in the wort. I did add the right amount of water to the fermenting bucket. Hopefully I just misread the hydrometer. Thanks

Back