Low mash temp issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewkyBrown

Reaction score
Would an 8 degree difference in mash temp affect efficiency that much?. I thought I was mashing at 154 but turns out it was 146f for an hour. My efficiency has been poor lately and I’m hoping it is because of this...

One highly under discussed issue of mashing is related to gelatinization. It's an annual and regional variable in the barley crops. In good years its closer to 140F and you never see an issue. Some really bad crops can actually be above 150F. If you can't get the starch into solution the enzymes can't convert it.

That's why i always advocate taking a gravity sample after about 20 mintues into your first step. If you aren't seeing >85% of your expected first wort gravity already you will need some more heat to release the starches.

There are other potential issues that can cause low efficiency too, but mashing at 146 is a a bit of a red flag. Only way to know is to test. I normally do a hochkurz style mash to reach 100% conversion every time.

At 146F the alpha amylase enzyme is barely working as that temperature is nearly outside it's range. The alpha and beta amylase need to work together as the alpha breaks the long chain starches at random locations while the beta only works on the ends. Without the alpha breaking the chains, there are only 2 ends for the beta to work on. You might have better efficiency if you mashed longer so the barely working alpha could still get some breaking done but a warmer mash makes it work a lot better and faster. Here's ah article about it:

https://missionarybrewer.wordpress....ers-window-what-temperature-should-i-mash-at/

Interesting replies...thanks to you both. I have mashed deliberately at 149f for ipa’s etc but never this low. I’m hoping now I’m all calibrated that my efficiency will improve drastically for my next batch. This current beer might be a bit thin!

That's odd . I bought a all grain hazy NEIPA kit and the recipe calls for mashing at 146 for 45 min. Does this seem right ?

limit dextrinase which has a temp window close to same as beta will give the beta more ends to chew on. But still you need some alpha-activity. Either way you need to mash for longer time if you're down at 63C comparing to 66C. You might employ a step-mash though.

Back