Low low gravity mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I started a mead Friday night. It’s a low gravity mead 1.016, yup it’s basically water. Which is what I’m shooting for. A hop flavored water. I was hoping that the fermentation activity would bio transform the hops.

Here’s the issue- it’s not fermenting. I pitched some dry cider yeast thinking it would be done sat morning. I then threw some D-47 Sunday morning. It’s still at the original gravity. I did put a pinch of DAP and a pinch of fermaid O in the must. Both yeast packets were purchased in the last 6 months.

I used 2g of hops per gallon for a total of 6 grams. I also used a whip to aerate when I pitched the yeast.

Hi AzOr, So we are talking about 1/2 lb of honey in a gallon of water? Might there be something in the water that prevented the fermentation? I am assuming that each time you pitched the yeast the must was at room temperature and certainly not much higher than your body temp. Yes? How did you sanitize your equipment? Might the problem be with that?

That amount of honey sounds right. I just dumped it in and mixed well. I did take a reading with my hydrometer.
I used jugs of store bought spring water.
As far as sanitizing- normal starsan. Everything in contact was dunked as well.

That's very low gravity! Get you around 2% ABV which is not much at all! Not sure if the super low concentration of Sugar is just making it slow for the yeast to get started. The other thing to note, is you should wait 48hrs minimum before repitching yeast. Perhaps by pitching two strains of yeast into such a low gravity wort, you're making them battle it out before they start off? Not sure, i've never fermented with that low an OG. Interesting concept!

Also, I should note that a low gravity ferment won't retain much hop aroma, but really only keep the bitterness. Not sure how that will work out for you?

That's very low gravity! Get you around 2% ABV which is not much at all! Not sure if the super low concentration of Sugar is just making it slow for the yeast to get started. The other thing to note, is you should wait 48hrs minimum before repitching yeast. Perhaps by pitching two strains of yeast into such a low gravity wort, you're making them battle it out before they start off? Not sure, i've never fermented with that low an OG. Interesting concept!

Also, I should note that a low gravity ferment won't retain much hop aroma, but really only keep the bitterness. Not sure how that will work out for you?
Yup I was inspired by this video

I just checked gravity this morning and its at 1.011ish. So it's moving but at a snail's pace.

I recently purchased a couple of 3 gallon kegs so I figured I'd have a light water/mead on tap. There's no way I'd bother bottling something like this.

What’s the temperature your brewing at? I would think that would be done in a day or two. But with such little sugar to work with, the yeast may not even want to reproduce or wake up lol

Ambient garage- upper 60s.

Yeast these days are so dang lazy. They won’t even get out of bed unless someone brings them their food.

I’ll check gravity tonight when I get back from work.

Ambient garage- upper 60s.

Yeast these days are so dang lazy. They won’t even get out of bed unless someone brings them their food.

I’ll check gravity tonight when I get back from work.

Doggone millennial yeast. Can hardly get them out of Mom and Dad's basement. ;)

How big of a batch? Maybe double the sugar and hops and then dilute after fermentation. Get the wee beasties motivated more...?
If you are looking to fill a 3 gallon keg I'd be inclined to make a 1 gallon batch @ 1.48 right in the water jug and then dilute it in the keg.

Last edited:
Back