low krausen...normal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1990dtgl98

Reaction score
I have a citrus hefe in the primary right now. OG was 1.050, and I used WLP320 yeast.

I am fermenting at 68* consistant and have a blowoff tube hooked up. However, I checked daily, and never got more than 1/4" of krausen on top (didn't open the lid, checked the sides). The airlock was bubbling away just fine, stopped now (but its still fermenting).

Is such a small krausen layer normal? All my other brews had 2-3" of krausen on top...this barely had anything.

Just wondering. :mug:

If the krausen formed at all, you're good.

Sometimes the yeast just don't feel like piling up.

I've brewed the same brew two weeks in a row and the first one blew off like mad, the second made 1 inch of krausen.

All of my Ale's I have made have had a very low krausen formed at the top. I thought this was a bit off since I see photo's of huge krausen typically. All my ales turned out fine regardless so no harm done. Sounds like things are going just fine for u

Back