Low final gravity question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schubes24

Reaction score
I recently brewed a partial mash Blonde ale. My OG came in at 1.051 and estimated was 1.053. The final gravity estimation was around 1.013, but it came in at 1.005. Just wondering why that would be? Used Wyeast Bier De Garde to ferment.

Your yeast did a better job of fermenting than the recipe called for. Certainly not a bad thing at all under normal circumstances. The beer will likely have a drier taste to it.

90% attenuation; that's good.

Did you mash low? Add sugar? Ferment high? All would help get to a high attenuation.

If you mashed low, around 148-149, you produced a highly fermentable wort. As already stated, not necessarily a bad thing. What temperature did you ferment at? I don't see a Biere de Garde strain on Wyeast's website. Do you remember the number you used? I've used 3711 (French Saison) and gotten from 1.065 down to 1.002.

I mashed at 150, didn't add any sugar, and fermented at about 72. Bier De Garde's number is 3725, it's only seasonal I believe.

Did you taste the hydrometer sample? I have only tried Castelain Blond and Trois Monts, and both are somewhat malty. I hope the malt character has been preserved, and the dryness should be right in style!

Let me know how this turns out and I'll definitely look for 3725.

Yes, tasted the sample and it had very good malt character. I think 3725 is only around til the end of the month, but could be wrong. I do know its a limited release though.

Back