Low Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
Hey All:

So, I just finished my first batch. I went all grain from the outset, and according to my calculator, I got a whopping 60% efficiency. I did a batch sparge. This low efficiency has me wondering what went wrong. Before adding the Sparge water I first drained off the original water until the wort flow stopped. Then, I added my Sparge water to get the flow moving again. Did I do that wrong? Should I have added the Sparge water before trading off any of the wort? And if so, could that be one of the reasons for my low efficiency?

reuliss said:
Hey All:

So, I just finished my first batch. I went all grain from the outset, and according to my calculator, I got a whopping 60% efficiency. I did a batch sparge. This low efficiency has me wondering what went wrong. Before adding the Sparge water I first drained off the original water until the wort flow stopped. Then, I added my Sparge water to get the flow moving again. Did I do that wrong? Should I have added the Sparge water before trading off any of the wort? And if so, could that be one of the reasons for my low efficiency?

First thing to look at is quality of crush

As to process and assuming you batch sparged you first collect the first runnings of wort which it appears you did. Then you add the sparge water, stir vigorously and let sit a few minutes, then vorluef and drain to collect your desired pre boil volume.

If you did not stir vigorously then you may have left a lot of sugars behind

There are a lot of other things to look at but this is a good start

Ahhhh... I didn't stir at all. I'll be sure to try that next time. Many thanks!!

reuliss said:
Ahhhh... I didn't stir at all. I'll be sure to try that next time. Many thanks!!

In addition to a good stirring, usually isn't there a 10 minute rest before draining off your second runnings?

Also make sure you are hitting your temperature for your spare water. 168-172 is a good range.

I'm hitting about 60% as well. I stir and rest for 15 minutes for second runnings at appropriate temperatures. What is you equipment setup? Maybe we both have crappy equipment. I use an old rectangular cooler with a 3/4" PVC pipe drain.

Crush is the firsts thing to look at. If you are not milling your own grain then check the crush of the LHBS or supplier. If they can crush twice for you have them do it.

IME and as reported by many the LHBS mills are usually a little course.

As for waiting before second runnings, it's really not necessary, it's the stirring that knocks all those sugars loose, I add the spare water, stir like crazy for a minute or two,vorleuf a few q's to clear and set the bed and drain. I now mill my own grains, batch spare and average a good 82%

Also you might want to look at water treatment. I used to get around 65 to 70% but last night I treated my water and got 89%. I didn't realise water made such a difference :)

+1 for crush. I also stir halfway through the mash and also during the sparge.

+1 for crush. I also stir halfway through the mash and also during the sparge.

This is the next thing I am trying. I hit 65% last batch. Maybe I'll make 70% if I stir it up halfway through.

Latest posts

Back