Low Efficiency Continues (Lengthy Description)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhutch31

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So I have been having issues with low efficiency. I posted about this a few days ago and received some great responses and direction as to how to approve my efficiency. It became evident that the amount of time I was sparging was way too fast. I totally agree, now that I know, I have made that change. However, I brewed again last night, and efficiency was the worst I have had to date.
As a recap, I have a brewmagic system from Sabco and I have been brewing 10 gal batches of all grain for my beer. I do a fly sparge for sparging.
Last night, I brewed another batch based upon employing the new things I had learned from this great forum. I purchased a refractometer and monitored my mash process until I hit my target O.G. dead on. It didn't take but about 30 mins to have the 1.057 that I had designed in BeerSmith2. Because I hit the target quickly, I went ahead and continued to mash for the full hour that Beersmith recommonded and then started my sparge.
This time, I sparged for an hour. I made sure to level the grain bed before sparging and used the hose that normally whirpools the wort to evenly distribute the water over the grain bed so it soaked through evenly. I kept the valve that transfers wort to the kettle barely open so that it trickled.
I immediately checked my gravity once the sparge finished and it was 1.035! I was shocked! At that point, I stopped everything and began studying the process again. One thing that stood out immediately is that I had 14 gallons of water in my boil kettle. I reviewed everything in beersmith and it was entered correctly, so I went ahead and tried fixing the gravity with DME. It required a ton of DME so I poured in what I had, boiled and finished the brew. Final gravity was 1.047 after adding a ton of DME. Total boil time was 75 minutes due to trying to get the water quantity down. realized I would be boiling for quite a few more hours so I gave up. Final quantity into the fermenter was around 12 gallons.
So, that got me thinking that the calcs in BeerSmith aren't making sense. I reviewed how it arrives at it's #'s and found some things that appeared to be skewing the calcs. It adds and extra gallon of water for Tun deadspace, it adds 14.9% more water for boil off during the hour of boil, it addes and extra gallon for trub loss, 4% loss for cooling and a gallon of loss for bottling.
Does this seem right? It appears that beersmith has you design your beer based upon the batch size you choose, (in this case 10 gallons) but then it provides water calcs based upon ending up with a bottling amount of ten gallons after you figure in all the loss due to trub loss in the fermenter, bottling, etc. Has anyone else found this to be the problem or does anyone understand or use beersmith enough that you can explain how to get the calculation of water volumes correct so that you end up with 10 gallons of boiled water at the end of the boil to match your design. It appears that that's my problem as I entered in the volume of what was in my boil kettle when finished boiling into beer smith and low and behold, 1.035 OG came up in the design. Should I use beersmith for helping me quickly design gravity #'s, IBU's, Alcohol Content, and then use the ole 1.5 quarts per lb of grain method for water? When I do that, it appears that the water volumes would be more correct. Sorry for the long explanation, but I wanted to be thorough.

Thanks!

John

Your problem lies with all of the water loss calculations.

You need to determine the value for each of those on your own based on your setup. Determine your dead space loss, boil off rate and other needed values and plug them into your software. It sounds like you may be using some default values or at least incorrect ones.

All of your missing sugar is in the extra water.

If it helps you any:

f9h0kh.jpg

I have plastic mashtun with a minimal amount of dead space (about a quart)
Keggle that leaves about 1 quart behind
My evaporation rate is quite high. 2 to 2.75 gallon per hour.

MC

Misplaced_Canuck said:
If it helps you any:

I have plastic mashtun with a minimal amount of dead space (about a quart)
Keggle that leaves about 1 quart behind
My evaporation rate is quite high. 2 to 2.75 gallon per hour.

MC

Thank you for the response. Just curious on your spreadsheet above. It says that the final volume is 11 gals. Is your design based upon 10 gals or 11? That's one of the things I still don't understand. When I'm done, I end up with around 11.5 gals to go into the fermenter but gravity is figured on 10 gals. So again, gravity #s are low.

Do you intend to end up with 11.5 gallons per batch? If so, change the batch size in your software. That will help your math to agree.

If you intend to end up with 10 gallons ten use need to stop your spare once you've reached your intended batch size plus whatever is your boil off amount. Usually that would be 1 - 1 1/2 gallons for. 60 to 90 minute boil for me - YMMV.

I do 5 gallon batches but here is whatI did.

I estimated 15% boil off. that means for a 60 min boil it was around 7 gallons. So I brought 7 gallons to boil and got to a rolling boil for 60 min. It left me with 5.5 Gallons which is what I wanted since .5 gallons usually gets lost in trub.

So fill up your boil kettle with 14 gallons and boil it off for an hour.

How many gallons do you WANT to end up with? 10? 10.5? 11? figure out who much of that 14 gallons boils off in an hour and thats your rate.

Then once you know your rate you will know how much volume to stop sparging to to get to your desired post boil volume.

Yes water and wort boil off differently and temeperatuer and elevation effect it. But that will at least give you a start.

Then as your brewing beer keep track of how much wort you start with and how much boils off. After 3-4 batches you should have a pretty accurate average.

Thank you for the response. Just curious on your spreadsheet above. It says that the final volume is 11 gals. Is your design based upon 10 gals or 11? That's one of the things I still don't understand. When I'm done, I end up with around 11.5 gals to go into the fermenter but gravity is figured on 10 gals. So again, gravity #s are low.

I use 11 gallons because that's what I want to end up with in the fermenter.

If you specify a 10 gallon batch size but end up with 11.5 gallons, then you've oversparged and need to figure lower your sparge water amount.

Also, if you planned (e.g.) 10 gallons, 80% efficiency, 1.050 and your end result was 11.5 gallons @ 1.040, that means your efficiency was:

10gal * (1.050 - 1) / 80pct = 625 "points" max.
11.5gal * (1.040 - 1) = 460 "points".

That means you were 460/625 = 73.6% efficiency.

MC

Misplaced_Canuck said:
I use 11 gallons because that's what I want to end up with in the fermenter.

If you specify a 10 gallon batch size but end up with 11.5 gallons, then you've oversparged and need to figure lower your sparge water amount.

Also, if you planned (e.g.) 10 gallons, 80% efficiency, 1.050 and your end result was 11.5 gallons @ 1.040, that means your efficiency was:

10gal * (1.050 - 1) / 80pct = 625 "points" max.
11.5gal * (1.040 - 1) = 460 "points".

That means you were 460/625 = 73.6% efficiency.

MC

Thanks for the help guys! I adjusted my equipment in beersmith and the numbers jive now. I'm going to design 11 gallon batches so that I have ten gallons for legging after transfer from the fermenter.

John

In my opinion efficiency is a bit overrated. Consistency is a bigger issue. My efficiency numbers aren't great, but pretty consistent. Lower eff. Just means using an extra pound or so of base malt. Costs two bucks. Not a huge deal. If you're consistent you'll be able to adjust recipes to hit numbers.

In my opinion efficiency is a bit overrated. Consistency is a bigger issue. My efficiency numbers aren't great, but pretty consistent. Lower eff. Just means using an extra pound or so of base malt. Costs two bucks. Not a huge deal. If you're consistent you'll be able to adjust recipes to hit numbers.

Slightly over-rated but certainly good to know. I wouldn't sweat a 75% vs 80% difference, but if I had always had batches at 50%, I might want to review my process to improve it. (think "crush").

MC

Below is my profile in BeerSmith 2 for 5.25 gallon batches done in a Keggle. Maybe my number will be helpful. The base profiles in Beer Smith are great starting points but you need to do some work to actually adjust it to meet your equipment needs. There may even be a BrewMagic profile available on the Beer Smith forum. If not, they should be able to help you get it dialed in. The brew magic forum probably has it as well but the process to join is so crazy it don't know if it would be helpful.

keggleprofile.jpg

Back