Low Carbonation due to a tard moment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BasementBrews

Reaction score
I'm on my third batch of home brew. The first two came out great. Third batch got me. I didn't use enough sugar when I bottled. It was a 2.5 gallon batch, I used 1.5oz of corn sugar. I should have used around 2.25oz. I let it sit in the bottle for 2 weeks. The beer tastes OK. It's just a little on the flat side. Will letting it sit for another couple of weeks help or is the lack of sugar just going to leave it flat? I have read some older posts with the same problem and there were suggestions of opening the bottles and adding more sugar and a little bit of yeast. Let it sit or open it? What's the best option?

Let it sit. The hassle of opening each bottle and adding more sugar is pointless in my opinion. Also, there's no way of knowing how much sugar you'll need in each bottle. They'll all be carbed differently. The only way to do it right would be to pour it back into a fermenter, allow the sugar to ferment out, and then start over with bottling. But you risk contamination and oxidation by doing so.

I'd rather have an undercarbed beer than risk ruining it.

I bet if you leave it a few more weeks, it'll be fine.

Cool, I'll just let it sit for a few more weeks. I've got a nut brown ale and a mix-of-leftovers to brew. That will get my mind off of wanting to drink what's bottled :) Thanks for the advice.

I had a brew once that after 2 weeks, was flat as a board. Taste was alright (only second "real" brew) but I was fairly disappointed. After a month of it being forgotten (lots of life events) I remembered I had a case of it. Cracked one open... perfect!

So yeah, 90% of things home brew will be fixed with time. So RDWHAHB! (Not to say you are worrying, just to HAHB)

+1 on give it more time.

But can also be a symptom of not getting the priming sugar mixed evenly throughout the beer at bottling time, you might have some with higher carbonation and some low.

Anyway about it, don't bother adding more. Just wait till Halloween and drink up.

To all those who said wait......THANKS!!!! Beer turned out a lot better than I thought it would. Opened one tonight and it was great!

Back