low carb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monk420

Reaction score
only the 2nd time i bottled i mostly keg. used 2/3 cup priming sugar for a 5g batch. Both times my carbonation was low. Any thing i can do to fix it besidses next time i bottle just add some more sugar? it's only been 2weeks since i bottled them

How long did you wait to test the carb levels? The carbonation can seem low for as long as a month. It can even take longer if you are brewing a really really large beer.

What is the beer you are planning on carbonating?

What temperature are you storing the bottles at when carbbing and for how long? If you're storing them in a cold cellar the yeast may not be staying active enough to carb the beer up properly. I've had that issue in my basement in the winter months.

i store them in my basement at about 60 deg. it's a A Belgian strong dark ale brewed in the Trappist fashion. A very dangerous beer that seems lighter than its (approximately) 9% abv would suggest.

In addition to what the others are going into, I recommend weighing the sugar instead of measuring by volume. I don't trust volume measurements for biochemistry.

At 60 degrees it's going to take longer than it would at say 70 degrees. Try moving it to a warmer area of the house for a week or 2. As thonetrueruss said, it is a good idea to go by weight rather than volume when measuring the sugar. You can also try a calculator like this one that will take temperature in to account when calculating your sugar requirements.

I use 1 cup of priming sugar (loose, not packed) and my scale says its 5 ounces.
All of my beers are carbonated by 2 weeks but you might want to wait a little longer, especially if they are sitting below 65 degrees. I truly think you need more priming sugar. If you have a scale then use that to measure 5 ounces of corn sugar, otherwise i find 1 loose cup to be perfect.

Back