love2brew.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
I recently placed an order with love2brew.com and had a pretty good customer service experience.

I ordered a 5 gal carboy along with quite a few other odds and ends including a ingredients kit. I placed my order and didn't think much about the shipping. I figured shipping a 5 glass carboy from Jersey to Northern NY would up the cost a little and never thought twice about.

Well I miffed the order and changed my mind the next morning to a 6.5 gal glass carboy. I called Ron and he took care of it. Just a small uptick of a few bucks, no big deal.

Well a few days go by and Ron calls me and lets me know that the order was a day or 2 late shipping as he was waiting for a few of my items to get in. Which he informed of the day I called to change my order, so it's no big deal, I'm somewhat patient. So to make up for the very small delay that I was already expecting, he tosses in a free t-shirt.

Overall my ordering experience with love2brew.com was great. Ron was helpful and every time we spoke, I had a couple brewing questions too, which were answered. I would recommend them to anyone.:mug:

Thumbs up for Love2Brew a forum sponsor/vendor.

They had everything I needed in stock including amarillo hops! Prices were very good as well.

Free shipping over $75 too.

Anyone know anything about them? How's the crush on the grains?

They are thirty minutes from me. I was going to try them out this weekend for a few grain bills but never got there

I've used them for a couple online orders. Great guys. I ordered some hops that were out of stock and they called me on the phone to suggest a similar replacement hop. Their site is full of helpful srticles as well. Been meaning to stop in one day when i'm in Joisey but i'm always with the family and don't need the wife and kids telling me they're bored and wanna go home.

I have used them for my last 15 brews. Mark and Ron are great guys who will take the time to work with you to get you what you need. I am 25 mins away from them and make them my first choice for brewing ingredients and goods. Awesome dudes who are growing heir shop and their customer base. I can see it with every visit. You wont be disappointed. N_G.

They are thirty minutes from me. I was going to try them out this weekend for a few grain bills but never got there

They're really cool guys. Also if you're just buying grain (not in kit form) there's no sales tax if you go to their store location. Super awesome for me. Was a heck of a motivation to get off kits, to save 7+%

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
They're really cool guys. Also if you're just buying grain (not in kit form) there's no sales tax if you go to their store location. Super awesome for me. Was a heck of a motivation to get off kits, to save 7+%

Do they have a grain room that you make up your grist bill or do they do it? I have a RIS recipe with 10-12 different malts and I always feel like a dick ordering so many malts

Just wanted to update.

I got my order in about 3 days to Ohio, might have been two. Shipping was very well done. Everything was there and very well packed.

Thanks you guys!

Do they have a grain room that you make up your grist bill or do they do it?

They'll happily do it for you. I usually call ahead and its ready when I get there. Alternatively, they have never had an issue pulling grains on demand right in front of me and running them through the mill. All the grains are properly stored where you can see them and you can certainly watch them use the scale as a double check. Its all out in the open. N_G

Do they have a grain room that you make up your grist bill or do they do it? I have a RIS recipe with 10-12 different malts and I always feel like a dick ordering so many malts

They'll do it on the spot. Good people there. I went there made up a recipe in my head they pulled the grains, and since i don't have a mill they milled the grains for me.

Mine was IIRC 3 pounds base, 1 pound peated and half pound cararye and caramel 40. They have a scale there and will just mix the grains in a bag for you or keep it separate.

Want to add my positive review to this thread

About 2 months ago I shot them an email asking for a kit that wasn't on their list of kits. I wanted to do a partial Mash IPA. All they have on their kit list is a DIPA which isn't really a summer beer. So I asked for a west coast style IPA kinda in the realm of Lagunitas. Well they made the kit, it turned out delicious, even if I forgot the instructions and made up my own hopping times.

I'm making my own recipe's now because like I said above, it saves me money. But if you want a beer style recipe and they don't have it listed on their kits on their site, email them and see if they can construct something. I was very very happy with the end result of the IPA.

Anyone know anything about them? How's the crush on the grains?

Great guys willing to help you out any way they can.
I was looking for some parts for a regulator I had to rebuild they did not stock them but had no problem ordering them for me, and the price was around the same as what I found online from some of the big name keg places.

Grain crush is good as they just upgraded to a 3 roller Monster Mill. All grains are stored in sealed containers and they get them for you: Just tell them what you want or give them your list/recipe. As nutty_gnome stated they are just on the rack right in front of you so you can see what they get and watch them pull, weigh, and crush (if you want them crushed), heck I have seen people ask for them to run it through a 2nd time, (I think mostly for BIAB but don't know for sure), and they have no problem doing it.
The place is a "Warehouse style" store with industrial racking, (like Costco shelves), but everything you need is within reach, Hops are in a glass door refrigerator all clearly labeled and the last time I was there it looked like they were adding a 2nd one.
Overall not a fancy place, its no Northern Brewer store, but it has what you need, the prices are good,(especially for Central NJ), and I have never had any problems other then waiting a few minuets as they help out someone else.
Definitely a ++1 , I'm lucky to have them as my LHBS and they are less then 10 miles away :ban:

Disclaimer, they are my go to lhbs.

Everything giraffeman said is true. Love love2brew. Give they a try you wont be disappointed.

Just wanted to chime in here with my love2brew experience. I found them on the web and when I realized they were only about 20 minutes away, I stopped by this past weekend because I had free day to brew and my order from midwest had not arrived. The gentleman who waited on me (Ron) was really cool, showed me around the store a bit, and put the particular recipe kit I was looking for together while I waited (assembled kits were out of stock). All with about 15 minutes left until they were due to close. Several other associates were also conversing with customers - both experienced and new brewers - making sure everybody had what they needed and offering advice where/as needed. A++ customer service and very good prices, so unless this kit tastes awful my business will likely be heading their way from now on.

:mug:

Another happy customer! Now if we could just get ECY to hook these guys up more often!

Want to submit my first review as an online customer for love2brew. I lived in New Brunswick for years and Love2Brew was my LHBS. I moved to whitemountains area New Hampshire where the only LHBS shuttered down for good. Conveniently I checked facebook the other day and got notice that ECY was in. Sadly I wasn't fast enough to get the Brett Dirty Dozen, but I'll get to that later. I placed my order and got a ton of grains, hops, 2 bottles of ECY, a package of Candi Sugar and some Star San. Free shipping which rocked. IT arrived super quick (2 days) but sat at my residence for 2 days (live above a business, they left it locked up) to my delight today, the ECY was still cold (ordered each with an ice pack) it was exceptionally packed, everything arrived on time. The only bummer was that they sold out of ECY Brett Dirty Dozen. But I received a call from Ron who explained it to me and refunded my money for that immediately. I was extremely happy with the speed. I have enough grains for a few months of beer, so I can't wait to order again.

Had to post something about my recent order from Love2Brew and their awesome customer service.

I placed an order at night, and one of my ordered items wasn't in stock. They called me the next morning and said they could send and alternate if I wanted, or wait a day for the next shipment to arrive and then send it off. I chose to wait a day and got an email the following day that my order had shipped.

Got my package one day later (with free shipping too!) and some of the grain bags had broken open -- looked like from poor handling on the delivery guy's part bc the box was kinda mangled. Called the guys at Love2Brew and they immediately shipped me replacements of the broken items. Got them the next day.

Amazing customer service! Fast turn around on orders. Free shipping (over $75). Love2Brew will be my first stop next time I need supplies. Thanks guys!

I ordered a few kits and miscellaneous things from them. 2 of the kits didn't have the option to not include yeast and both vials were dead on arrival (it gets to 110F here every day). I e-mailed them and explained the situation and they refunded me for the vials I'd purchase.

I was a bit concerned when both of my vials of yeast were dead, but I'm happy love2brew made things right. I'll definitely consider purchasing from them again.

Their prices are good and they have more unique styles of beers than most homebrew shops have at that price point.

Does anyone know if they're willing to work on shipping at all? They want to charge $101 to ship 10 lbs of grain.

Order $75 and it's free. Call them, you have nothing to loose.

I should point out that I live in Hawaii, so free shipping is out the door on my end, which I totally understand. You're absolutely right in the fact that I should call and see what the shipping would actually be by speaking to a human being.

I've ordered from these guys before on a small scale, and they were great. I didn't mean for my post to make it look like they charge an arm and a leg for shipping. It just takes a phone call or email, part of the trade off to ship where I'm at.

I'm another satisfied customer of theirs. They are about 15 minutes from work, so I pop in around lunchtime and they are always happy to get what I need.

I worked with Mark on setting up my HERMS brew stand and he was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. I have spent countless $$$ there and have never been disappointed.

I used to use Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew almost exclusively since I didn't have a decent LHBS, but now love2brew gets almost all my business.

Putting a shout out to my LHBS. Best of both worlds if you brew in Tri state area, I'm lucky they are 5 minutes from work. Knowledgeable folks, fair prices on used kegs and ingredients. Huge selection of yeast and grain, and since they do a fair internet business, I've noticed everything always fresh (yeast dates). Cant speak to shipping since I always pick up, but they're happy to double grind for BIAB, and I would probably buy 2 kits at once and some other supplies to hit their $70 free shipping threshold.

L2B's Paterson location (just over the river from Fair Lawn) is my LHBS. I'm very satisfied with their service and products. I like that they email my receipt, too.

has anyone gotten reviews of them recently? I've ordered from a variety of online shops (ritebrew, aih, midwest, etc) and I have a LHBS but they are low volume. I'm only 15 min from Love2Brew at work, and would love to check them out if they still hold strong reviews!

Love2Brew is still doing fine - I visited last month. Their Paterson location, though, is going to close in December. It seems that if they want to stay, they will be forced to pay a lot more for their lease because the property owner really wants to convert the site to condos or something. I talked with one of the L2B owners about it. He said their business is doing well, and online sales still rule the day out of their other large facility in central Jersey. I promised to keep buying stuff online, but of course I am bummed that I will no longer have such a nearby LHBS.

Yes, Love2Brew is really good. I've gone at least 5-6 times recently. They always have everything I need, have very good prices, and fresh ingredients. Their mail order side of things keep them extremely competitive. They are my "go to" store for most everything. I used to use Northern Brewer for my needs, but since Love2Brew opened, they get all my business.

McKnuckle is correct about the Paterson store. It is due to close due to the rent going up.

Went there today; they were awesome. Mark was a huge help for me (never brewed before). Answered a lot of my questions, and got me set up with two kits I'm excited to brew. Definitely the store to go to for great customer service. Clearly more into helping their customers than pushing the most expensive product. Prices were great, and even when the Paterson location closes, I'll still use their Brunswick location, or their online site.

++1 for love2brew!

I agree 100%! Sad to see Paterson location go. I may have to use the website but the knowledge at the store will get me to travel to Brunswick when I can. Mark is great - avid cider maker.

Great people to do business with. I first learned about them via Cabela's. I got a gift certificate for Christmas a few years back and ordered a basic brew kit from Cabela's. Everything shipped from love2brew.

They are the first place I look for brew items. I've ordered quite a few times and everything has been great. The one order that got screwed up was fixed quickly.

Orders usually ship the same day the order is placed (no extra charge) and shipping is free for most items if I spend $75.

Had a good/bad experience recently... ordered a hydrometer and it was faulty. Told Love2Brew and they responded immediately by sending a replacement. Replacement was also faulty. They offered to refund my order entirely. Would have loved to get a working hydrometer, but appreciated their ability to refund it when it was clear I wasn't going to get one.

Today is a sad day as I just found out Love2Brew will be closing their retail and online sales operations on March 31st, 2019 at the latest.
This Sucks as they were a few Miles form My House and had Great Prices and Service.
Now I have to just order form someone online.
No more running down to my LHBS to get some yeast the day I want to brew.

Today is a sad day as I just found out Love2Brew will be closing their retail and online sales operations on March 31st, 2019 at the latest.
This Sucks as they were a few Miles form My House and had Great Prices and Service.
Now I have to just order form someone online.
No more running down to my LHBS to get some yeast the day I want to brew.

But Gov Murphy just heaped praise on them for being a successful small business , how could this happen Ron?
What’s the future Ron?

That surely is sad news!

Although not local to me, they are/were one of the very few places one could buy East Coast Yeast (ECY) from, which I've done many times.
First time was at the National Homebrew Conference in Philadelphia, 2013.

They always had a really well curated web store. Surprised they are ceasing.

GOOD NEWS! Now they are not going to close up , Just received this Announcement from them

"
All we can say is "wow." The outpouring of support of the homebrewing community has been overwhelming, both emotionally and literally concerning our workload.

After the announcement of our closing, we were approached by numerous local homebrewers who were very interested in keeping Love2brew open to support our local and national homebrewing community. As this was always our ideal scenario, we have agreed to transfer the operation. I'm especially proud to say that long-time Love2brew team member Andrzej (Andrew) Bzdula will be stepping up to take on a leadership role within the organization alongside Tom Hasner.
mail

Here are our next steps:
  1. Beginning 2/4/19 we will close our retail location for one week, re-opening on 2/11/19.
  2. We will focus on fulfilling all of the outstanding orders
  3. We will restock our selection and continue to serve under new leadership.
Mark and I will still be transitioning out of the business as planned but will be staying on until the end of March to help the transition go smoothly.

Personally I am excited to see Tom's vision for an even better homebrewing experience manifest with Love2brew. I am confident that our operation going forward will exceed the standards you are already used to with Love2brew.

Thank you so much for your support. We're excited to see Love2brew continue and are confident that through Tom and Andrzej's leadership our ability to serve you will only get better."

In appreciation,

mail

Ron Rivers
Love2brew

Back