Lots of sediment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer4U

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just made my 2nd batch of beer (the first one didn't turn out so hot so I decided to join this forum and do a little researching for myself). Just a couple concerns on this batch...

1.) The wort cooled much quicker than I had anticipated. It was 70F before adding it to 3 gallons of room temp water. I pitched it after this point. Is it too cool to ferment?

2.) I accidently siphoned up a lot of sediment. There's probably a solid inch at the bottom of my 6.5 gallon carboy already. Should this be any concern?

Thanks for the help and tips are welcome!

As Pappers said, you are good. Getting the wort too cool shouldn't be a problem, your yeast might just take a little longer to get going. Rest assured, though, the low temp won't kill them.
The sediment will just settle back down to the bottom, and shouldn't be a problem. Just be more careful when you transfer it next time =).

if you notice to much sediment and you dont like it then just sperate it again. Just try to minimize splashing and you should be fine. Congrats on your second batch!

most beers actually turn out better when fermented in the low 60's anyway. People have trouble keeping their beers cool enough this time of year, so if you can get it below 70 during fermentation you're right where you want to be.

as far as sediment - I once made a Wit and literally 1/3 of the carboy was sediment....granted, I screwed up with that beer, got some grains in the boil somehow and way over boiled it for the style, but still, sediment is normal and means the unwanted stuff is dropping out of suspension. nothing to worry about.

Some of the stuff in the sediment can actually be useful for the yeast too. I just bottled last night an IPA that had about 2 inches of sediment on the bottom. Too early to tell how it will turn out, but the samples tasted fine!

BTW, I left the sediment in there for the entire 30-day primary. I racked to a "secondary" the night before I bottled just to try to minimize the amount of junk that made it into the bottles.

Latest posts

Back