Lost filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srgwuggles

Reaction score
Oh this is going to sound stupid. I have one of the old coopers brewing buckets and when I was cleaning it the other day the filter for the spout popped of and said goodbye... Went straight for the drain and never came back.
For those who don't know the filter is basically a cylindrical piece of plastic that protrudes outward with a slit in it which I guess is supposed to filter out sediment. Anyway he decided he wanted to do more than filtering and is gone.
Will this effect my next brew? If so, how? Any thoughts or suggestions on clarifying beer and filtering out sediment will be appreciated.
*note I don't have and cannot afford a secondary at this stage. But thoughts on secondaries are also appreciated

Sounds like you are fermenting in a bucket with a spigot for draining the wort into a bottling bucket. Right?

Since this filter is gone do your tranfers with an auto siphon. Start the siphon high above the trub/yeast layer and gradually lower it. To get the most beer out of the fermentor it helps to tilt the bucket a bit. For safety make it will take quite a bit of pressure to overturn the bucket though.

Secondary is unnecessary unless you are dry hopping or have other additions to a brew.

Lol... Bottling bucket... Not really. Primary has a spigot and a bottling attachment for it ( bottle filler? No bottling bucket though. I can imagine a bottling bucket would have some benefits for sure though. I might be moving country in the next year so I'm not sure if it's a good investment especially since Belgiums take so long to age well
Thanks for the info on the secondary btw :D

Um... Your brewing in your bottling bucket. Fermentation buckets don't have spigots. That "filter" sounds like a dip tube for getting the last bit of beer out of the bucket without having to tip the bucket. Very handy.

Looks like this.

image-4187179719.jpg

Back