lost and found

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhatchable

Reaction score
So I step outside (2 am) after cleanup from a long, messy brew day and sure enough I saw an abandoned rotten smelling minifridge. it is a pretty ancient kenmore 4.6cu model. It cleaned well with oxyclean. It is a bit noisy but still gets very cold. it doesn't allow for a bucket or carboy (it is tall enough), but the "freezer" is in the way. any ideas on how to use it? I'm thinking possible fermentation chamber, but has to be minimal cost... what do you think? options?

Post a pic - many times the freezer can be bent out of the way.

Lots of threads here about fermentation chambers if ya feel like building something.

Remove the door, build a large enough box around it, install a computer fan or two and viola... fermenation chamber....

that's what I would do. Or sell on CL, and then buy a bigger one that will fit your needs.

I think that counts as a score!

Bending the top freezer out of the way is possible, but be very careful to not crack the lines and loose the coolant.
Of course all you loose is your time if it breaks.

sethful's idea of building an external larger chamber is ideal if you have the time, materials and are inclined to measuring and cutting. More space, more you can primary / lauger.

I picked up some foam insulation, duct tape, expanding foam and liquid nails. Excluding the cost of the refrigerator ($50) I had a fermentation chamber in a closet for less than $100.

It has hands down been the best money I have spent on this addictio...er...hobby since I started.

I picked up some foam insulation, duct tape, expanding foam and liquid nails. Excluding the cost of the refrigerator ($50) I had a fermentation chamber in a closet for less than $100.

It has hands down been the best money I have spent on this addictio...er...hobby since I started.

I think this is kind of what I've been leaning towards. I have looked at some of these builds on here, and they don't look to bad. Thanks for the replies. I'll post pics of the finished chamber when I get around to it. Any preferences on here for temp control? love's digi? cheaper analogs work ok?

Back