Looking to start brewing beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim obrien

Reaction score
Hi am new to brewing beer or anything that comes in a pint glass. I have done wine a few time but would like get into beer, so have you any tips on how to start up, I have a bag of spring pale ale malt, any tips on what I can do

Preparation is key! Absolutely you must read, Read and READ all the material on this site, starting with the stickied threads at the top of this web forum. Also you will proba ly want to find and read How To Brew by John Palmer or Charlie Papazian's book (can't remember the name...). I have read both and they are a great resource on the subject.

Supplies can be purchased at any number of online sites, though my favorite is MoreBeer (and also have used NorthernBrewer). You may have a local home brew store near you for supplies and ingredients.

Strap in and buckle up... This hobby is one crazy ride!

..... or Charlie Papazian's book (can't remember the name...).
-----------
Supplies can be purchased at any number of online sites, though my favorite is MoreBeer (and also have used NorthernBrewer). You may have a local home brew store near you for supplies and ingredients.

Strap in and buckle up... This hobby is one crazy ride!

I believe the name of that book is "The Joy Of Homebrewing". Agreed that they are both great books.

Welcome to the gang. I highly recommend finding a LBHS (if you have one within driving distance). I do not mind paying a bit more for advice, suggestions, etc. Plus, many will match the online prices.

Welcome to a great hobby. Definitely read up on the basic concepts of brewing, but don't let in overwhelm you. It doesn't have to be as complicated as it usually sounds. As of the past few years I have been brewing one gallons batches of beer and it works great for me. This site has a ton of info for any level of brewer, its just a matter of finding it. Good luck

As already mentioned finding a LHBS within driving distance but, if you can find one in your area, find a home brew club and join it. I did and its been a big help with my brewing. Good luck and welcome to the craft.

Agree with catdaddy66, before I brew I read the instructions through two times. Then as I am brewing I am always reading ahead to make sure I am ready for each step on time. Cleaning and sanitizing is also very important, I probably spend more time cleaning and sanitizing than I do brewing. I learn a new lesson every time, here are the lessons learned thus far.

1. The amount of ice in your fridge will not be a sufficient ice bath. Go buy a big pack of ice from the grocery store before you start.
2. Make sure you have a way to plug up your sink for the ice bath.
3. You don't have to bring the beer up to exactly 5 gallons (as many recipes suggest), you can instead bring it up to a desired OG. My first beer came out really week (like 3% because I added too much water). With algebra you can figure out how much water to add. Say you have 3 gallons of wort that is 1.08 OG. You want an OG of 1.06. You want to know how much water (the gravity is going to be 1.00) to add. You can figure that out with the following equation. (1.08*3)+(1*x)=(1.06*(3+x)). Make sense? If not feel free to message me. I'll take an OG reading without adding any water, solve for X, then add that much water. I'll then take another OG reading which should in theory be the desired OG, usually it is very close.
4. Don't be afraid to transfer some of the "sludge", there is yeast in there. I was too cautious about this and think I lost the yeast by the time I bottled leading to a flat beer.

Back