Looking to build a fermentation chamber, easily...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiggs_casey

Reaction score
I have a side by side that I don't want to completely tear apart to build a fermentation chamber with. I would like to keep the freezer side functioning as a freezer and have an idea that I want to run by those with experience with these things.

Basically, I have a 2-stage stc-1000 temperature controller that I plan on mounting in the door. Off of the heat side temperature controller, I will have a small reptile stone heating element mounted on the bottom of the fridge. On the cool side of the heating element, I plan on having a 120mm 110v fan mounted in the divider between the fridge and the freezer compartments. When the cool side is on, this fan will draw cold air from the freezer side and while it isn't on, I plan on using a small hinged 'flap' that will cover the fan to help prevent air from coming in.

I am trying to keep this as simple as I can. As stated I don't really want to lose the freezer functionality. Most of the 'side-by-side' conversions I have found do just that.

Have I completely oversimplified the process? It sounds like it should work find to me...

Thanks!

I think it will work just fine. The only issue I can see is your heating stone might just run all the time depending on how much cool air infiltrates from the freezer. It would be interesting to see how hefty a flap you can put in front of the fan. Some insulation might be better than a piece of thin plastic but the fan might not be able to open it. Let us know after you build it how everything works out.

Back