Looking @ New Kettles. Need input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaylessBrewer

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm looking at getting a new kettle. I'm about ready to punch the order button on a 10gal SS Brewtech @ Morebeer.com. It's $179.99 w/free shipping.
I brew BIAB and would like to keep the cost under $200. I want tri-clad bottom and a kettle with a SS valve on it. No need for a thermometer because it will tear my bag.
What kind of kettles do you guys have/recommend?

I know you said youre trying to keep it under $200, but i have a Spike Brewing 15G kettle that i had them custom build to my specs with all Tri-Clamp fittings and a sight glass, and it came out to just over $400. For the stock options, the Spike kettles are just over $200 and of a very high quality build!

Edit: just checked their website, and the 10 gal kettle with ball valve is on sale for only $180!

I have a Spike 10 gallon (downsized from a Bayou Classic 15G) and love it.

I do have a therm in mine and have never had a problem with tearing the bag, FWIW.

I think Spike may be having a sale now.

I have a 10 gallon Brewtech and also use BIAB. I ended up switching out the Brewtech thermometer for a Bayou Classic one and haven't had any issues with it snagging or tearing my bag. Another nice feature is it has the ranges already marked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Spike 10 gallon (downsized from a Bayou Classic 15G) and love it.

I do have a therm in mine and have never had a problem with tearing the bag, FWIW.

I think Spike may be having a sale now.

Sorry to hijack but it may help the OP with comparison's too. I have an 82 quart (20.5 gal) Bayou Classic and think it's good. What are the pro/con's of each one and which would you buy again if you needed one with cost in mind?

alot of the differences are cosmetic, handles, design, etc. the bottom is going to be the biggest issue for most, and how many holes, etc..

Personally I like the blichman, and a friend has a "tall boy" and the build quality on that is really good. nice feeling on the handles, tri clad bottom nice and flat, etc. no flex, I like it.

I brew on a 10 gallon bayou classic, not biab, and it does the trick just fine. I punched my own hole for a valve...

Sorry to hijack but it may help the OP with comparison's too. I have an 82 quart (20.5 gal) Bayou Classic and think it's good. What are the pro/con's of each one and which would you buy again if you needed one with cost in mind?

A few pro's for Spike:

- Thicker than Bayou and a tri-clad bottom, the latter is useful if you want to go to an induction burner. I think SS and Spike are similar, if not identical on this regard.

- Riveted, rubber dipped handles (kettle and lid)

- Lid can rest on the handle

- domed bottom (good for leaving hop material in the kettle on transfer!). This works well with the side pick up tube.

- Size is perfect (for me) for 5.5G batches (usually brew 1.05 ~ 1.060)

- Welded fittings

- Spike has both gallon and half gallon markers and I want to say SS and others only have gallon markers. I don't use a sight glass so this was a plus for me.

Really don't have a con except the price! I originally bought the Bayou because it was considerably less money and I wanted a 15G to cover "big beers" and/or 10G batches. A year into owning the kettle I only brewed 1 high gravity beer and 1 10G batch. I didn't like the size for 5.5G batches because it had too much head room (not helpful in keeping stable mash temp) and the water level was too low for my IC.

Here is a link to the one I own. The same version with one coupler is $180 (valve sold separately).

http://spikebrewing.com/collections...cts/10-gallon-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers

In full disclosure, I still own my 15G Bayou "just in case" I decided to brew up a larger batch! ;)

Like the title says I'm looking at getting a new kettle. I'm about ready to punch the order button on a 10gal SS Brewtech @ Morebeer.com. It's $179.99 w/free shipping.
I brew BIAB and would like to keep the cost under $200. I want tri-clad bottom and a kettle with a SS valve on it. No need for a thermometer because it will tear my bag.
What kind of kettles do you guys have/recommend?

Have you taken a look at us? We are 100% confident that you will be blown away by the quality of our tanks and the welding. The biggest advantages we can offer in your case is the welded fitting (super easy install and will never leak) and 3pc valve with integrated male end (even easier install). Down the road you can also pickup a side pickup tube. With a whirlpool you can get a hop cone like below and clear wort like below.

$180 - 10gal Kettle
$25 - 3pc Valve

Whirlpool Drained.jpg

Filter Test.jpg

Have you taken a look at us? We are 100% confident that you will be blown away by the quality of our tanks and the welding. The biggest advantages we can offer in your case is the welded fitting (super easy install and will never leak) and 3pc valve with integrated male end (even easier install). Down the road you can also pickup a side pickup tube. With a whirlpool you can get a hop cone like below and clear wort like below.

$180 - 10gal Kettle

$25 - 3pc Valve

How much is shipping from your warehouse to St.Louis,MO?

I have a cheapo 14 kettle I paid 100$ for with 2 welded fittings, and heavy duty 15g kettle from morebeer. The Morebeer kettle is very nice, thick stainless, clean welds, triclad bottom. However, I actually like using the cheap kettle more because it's so much lighter. The Morebeer kettle is pretty damn heavy and awkward. Might be less of an issue with 10 gallon kettles, though.

There's some good deals here on the forum for used kettles. I bought all three of my current kettles here within the last 2 months. Just look at feedback and when the person joined and you should be good.

:mug:

$0.00; all our kettles ship for free.

Nice!
Sadly so, I really wish yours came with the three piece valve instead of it being a separate purchase. The SS Brewtech kettle comes with the three piece valve. I'm not saying it's a better kettle just seems like a better deal to me. I have heard good things about your products though. 🤔

Nice!
Sadly so, I really wish yours came with the three piece valve instead of it being a separate purchase. The SS Brewtech kettle comes with the three piece valve. I'm not saying it's a better kettle just seems like a better deal to me. I have heard good things about your products though. 🤔

We couldn't agree more that the SS kettle is cheaper! It uses a material that is 25% thinner than ours, weld-less fittings vs our sanitary welded fittings, doesn't have our stepped bottom feature, ect, ect.

Our motto, "Not Cheaper. Just Better."

We couldn't agree more that the SS kettle is cheaper! It uses a material that is 25% thinner than ours, weld-less fittings vs our sanitary welded fittings, doesn't have our stepped bottom feature, ect, ect.

Our motto, "Not Cheaper. Just Better."

Love the motto!
I'm going to do some more research on this purchase and hopefully make a purchase by the weekend. I would love to go the Spike route but I'll have to see if the "boss" will let me spend the extra loot.

Love the motto!
I'm going to do some more research on this purchase and hopefully make a purchase by the weekend. I would love to go the Spike route but I'll have to see if the "boss" will let me spend the extra loot.

Ha we get that a lot! I laugh every time I see someone drop the 'SWMBO' line. You can always use the sales pitch about how you'll never need to purchase new o-rings so actual cost of ownership is lower ;)

Ha ha happy brewing either way!!

-Tim

A big thing to consider is future upgrades. If you decide to go away from BIAB, having the stepped bottom is the way to go. It is the whole reason I went with blichmann kettles myself, and they have a great false bottom design. If spike had been around when I bought my kettles I probably would have bought through him.

If that fails use SWMBO logic. If spikes kettles are on sale tell your wife you are saving money by spending more because it is on sale......

Last edited:
I have a 10 gallon Ss Brewtech kettle and 2 10 gallon Spike Brewing kettles.
The Spike kettles are considerably nicer and are well worth the extra cost.
I plan on switching my ss brewtech kettle for a spike kettle in the future.

I'll throw anothe + in for Spike - I got mine a 10 gallon a couple of weeks ago, and was absolutely thrilled with it. My local shop has them on hand so I got to fondle it before buying and I've got to say the thing is a beast. Comparing my 10 gallon Spike to my 9 gallon Bayou...the Bayou feels like aluminum (weight wise) compared to the spike.

Back