Looking for thermometer suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travis K. Jansen

Reaction score
Had a 5g pot, bought a 16g pot to upgrade, now I have no constant thermometer to monitor mash temps. What do ya'll recommend for monitoring the internal temp of mash without having to lift the lid and use my thermapen every time?

Idk, maybe drill a hole in the mash tun and figure out a way to fit a thermowell and use a thermometer with a prode.

This thing is like 19.5" high. I think I'm gonna have to do what @MattyHBT said and drill a hole in the side. Looks like my next purchase will be a thermowell and some seals ;)

A fixed probe in a mash tun is unlikely to reveal all you want to know, it can only tell you temperature in the immediate vicinity and unless you're recirculating at a decent clip the actual mash temperatures could vary considerably.

I use one of these https://www.thermoworks.com/RT610B-24. I stick it through a hole in the center of the lid on my 10g Rubbermade MLT for small batches, and with my 20g ss MLT I slide the lid over just enough to stick the probe through for a quick check. You can probe all around a 20g kettle with this meter...

Cheers!

I use a Rubbermaid water cooler mash tun. I use a probe thermometer, sticking it in the grains by hand in several places. When I stir and get the temperature even and at the desired mash temp, I close it up and leave it alone. Once closed I rarely monitor the temperature unless I am curious as to how much it dropped.

I thought about installing one in the mash tun but gave up the idea when thinking about hitting it when stirring the grains or cleaning.

Back