Looking for some ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HazyGillespie

Reaction score
Looking for Chateau Oats and Chateau Spelt I've looked thru multiple websites but can't find it anywhere. Well correction I can find it over seas but they don't ship to the US. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The recipe calls for Chateau, first go at a NE IPA didn't wanna stray to far from the recipe.

Chateau is a malt house in Belgium. It is imported into the US by BSG Craftbrewing. You may be able to find retailers from their site.

Personally, I think the substitutions that Chuckus95 mentioned are viable replacements if you cannot reasonably find the Chateau malts in your area.

Yeah, I can't see sticking to certain malt houses just because a recipe tells you, either.

Don't get me wrong, Chateau (Castle) makes great malts, no argument there.

Now if you're that good of a brewer where that tiny difference in flavor and character makes all the difference, heck, go for it!

I may border on Sacrilegion, perhaps, by brewing "German" and "Bohemian" style Pilsners using American Pilsner Malts (Rahr). If I really want to go all the way out, sure, I'll use Weyermann Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner. That's the base malt, 95% of it makes the beer! A pound or 2 of an adjunct makes much less of a difference.

Are those oats in question flaked oats or oat malt? If flaked, any flaked/rolled oat from your local supermarket will work fine, as long as they aren't stale. You could even give them a light toast in the oven if you want.

How about that spelt, is that malted or just the raw berries? Wholefoods probably has the raw berries for you.

I know this is an old thread but for future reference, I get my Spelt malt from a local health food store it's about $2.00 lb

I'm in Europe so not much use for the OP but two days ago I ordered 10 Kg (22lb) of Chateau Oats for about 15 dollars before realizing that apart from NEIPAs and small additions to old English ales, stouts and Porters there is not much use for them. The cheap price just clouded my better judgment :no:
Around the same price as some rolled oats, so "why not" I though o_O
It will take me a while to get through that lot unless someone has some recipe suggestions?

Anyway they should arrive tomorrow and I see on the Castle malting site that they are actually dehusked/naked.
As far as I can see from the Fawcett website they have a husked version. (can be that I'm not right)
So maybe they (Chateau) are indeed more suitable for some types of beer than the husked ones?

I'm in Europe so not much use for the OP but two days ago I ordered 10 Kg (22lb) of Chateau Oats for about 15 dollars before realizing that apart from NEIPAs and small additions to old English ales, stouts and Porters there is not much use for them. The cheap price just clouded my better judgment :no:
Around the same price as some rolled oats, so "why not" I though o_O
It will take me a while to get through that lot unless someone has some recipe suggestions?

Anyway they should arrive tomorrow and I see on the Castle malting site that they are actually dehusked/naked.
As far as I can see from the Fawcett website they have a husked version. (can be that I'm not right)
So maybe they (Chateau) are indeed more suitable for some types of beer than the husked ones?
There's lots you can use them for. Chateau is just a brand name although I find their caramel quite different to others.
Could be my imagination though. Seems more jammy

There's lots you can use them for. Chateau is just a brand name although I find their caramel quite different to others.
Could be my imagination though. Seems more jammy

Yes I know Castle maltings products quite well.
There was an online brew shop that was starting up the same time as I got back into brewing about 5 years ago.
They had a whole range of their malts at the time as I guess they were still getting a feel for what malts would sell well.
Being new to the hobby I just bought a kilo each of all the special malts they had without a plan. :cool:
I really like their Caragold more than Caramunich II and CaraRuby is also very nice instead of Carared/Caraviennna.
These are still available but some of the obscure ones are not so easy to get anymore.

I still have to find something to do with a kilo each of Arome, Melano Light and Café Light malts.:confused:

Anyway back to the oats.

If anyone has any recipes I would be interested

From their site:

''Château Oat malt is produced from naked oat kernels. This type of malt has a very low diastatic power and moderate extract values.''

I'm sure other malters offer them with the kernels.

Latest posts

Back