Looking for some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGCUNN60

Reaction score
I have an American Pale Ale Brewers Best kit. However, I don't like bitter hoppy beers. (this was my only choice from a local shop that caters to wine making) I also have some frozen strawberries I cut up and put in the freezer when they went on sale. Here are my questions:

Can I just use half the hops and come out with a good beer that will taste good racked onto my strawberries?

What if I juiced my strawberries in my jack LaLane and added only the juice?

What would be the pros and cons to adding the strawberries or strawberry juice into primary instead of secondary?

You certainly can use less hops for a less bitter or less hoppy beer. However you need to know what you are trying to accomplish - less bitter or less hop flavor or less hop aroma. If you just want less bitterness, you should reduce the early hop additions (eg at 60 minute) and still keep the later additions the same.

I've never used strawberries, but I have heard you need a lot of them because they have such a mild flavor. If you add them in primary while fermentation is still active, you will lose some of the delicate strawberry aromas/flavors - the off gassing of CO2 during fermentation will carry out the volatile aroma/flavor compounds.

Latest posts

Back