Looking for some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshuat30

Reaction score
Honestly this guy didn't post enough information for the noob.

I have this recipe from another site Butter Rum Mead and I'm looking for some help following it. This is going to be my first brew on my own with no kit. 1st thing is where to get Irish Moss? Anyone know they can reply of email me. 2nd is I have no idea really how to follow the recipe for boiling times. Do I just throw it all together (minus the yeast obviously), let it cool and drop it in the bucket? Or should I say hell with that and look for a nice smokey porter recipe as my first? Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Edit: Yes I put this in the wrong place and I'm sorry didn't notice the beginner's thread.

I wouldn't start with that as your first homebrew. I would stick with something more traditional and easy to brew. That recipe looks like it would taste like crap ;)

Try brewing an Apfelwein as your first project. Very simple! Click Here to check out the thread on it

But if you do decide to go with that project you will need to prevent infection. Since you have no hops you don't need a boiling schedule. I would just boil it all for 10 to 15 minutes, let it cool and pitch the lager yeast and wait forever and a day.

As an alternative you could just mix all the ingredients together (besides the yeast of course) and add crushed campden tablets. This will prevent infection when you do not wish to boil (I don't boil honey myself).

I wouldn't stress about the irish moss. If you want just add it in with the boil.

What ever you choose to do, aerate your must/wort.

Back