Looking for feedback on my first CCC Golden Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSJ

Reaction score
This is my second AG and I like to make a 3 C Golden Ale.
Here is what I have put together and I like to get your feedback.

Code:
Batch Size: 19.5 liters (fermentor volume)

FERMENTABLES:
0.35 kg - (Finland) Vienna (7.1%)
0.3 kg -  (Finland) Crystal 150 (6.1%)
0.15 kg - German - Carapils (3.1%)
3.75 kg - (Finland) Pale Ale 2 row  (76.5%)
0.35 kg - Home made Victory - (Finland)  2 row toasted (7.1%)

HOPS:
15 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 26.58
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 10.15
10 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 10 min, IBU: 5.44
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Aroma for 0 min
15 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Aroma for 0 min
15 g - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
15 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days
15 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 4 days

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05

PS! I am not sure where the gains are actually grown but the maltster is a Finnish company (Viking).

I expect it will be amber and not golden with the C-150. I'd personally go with lighter crystal but otherwise it looks like a nice American style pale ale to me (you expecting mid 1.050's?). I think the hop schedule looks great.

I was actually worried about my hop schedule because it just made it up :)
I hope I can brew this in few days.

I expect it will be amber and not golden with the C-150. I'd personally go with lighter crystal but otherwise it looks like a nice American style pale ale to me (you expecting mid 1.050's?). I think the hop schedule looks great.

Yes. About 1054 (this is what BeerSmith shows)
I am going with 2 stage fermentation.
4 days in primary @ 19-20C (it is fluctuating because I do not have a cooler)
10 days in secondary at 19C (cooler arrives today)
EDIT: 30 days @ 18C or so in bottles

I would try to keep the beer temp no higher than 20C - if those are ambient temps the beer might get much hotter during fermentation. If you have a large bucket or tub you could but the fermenter in there in a water bath with bottles of ice - i.e. a swamp cooler. Also it's up to you but I'd leave the beer alone and finish fermenting rather than transfer so soon like that. Actually I wouldn't secondary that beer at all, but that's a whole other argument. :)

I did completed the transfer and I am not sure, if it was a good idea. More I read about it, less/more/less... confused I am about the whole transfer business (this is for another thread).
It still had krausen on top, thin one but still there. Oh well, hopefully I did not screw this up :)

Next stop - dry hop.

I measure the temperature with a DS18B20 (censor). It's taped to the side of my fermenter and covered with piece of insulation material.
I made a small Arduino based contraption with LCD and it's outside of my cooler. There is also a thermometer, that shows the ambient temperature inside the cooler. I'll replace that with a second sensor.

I can not believe... I am stuck at infamous gravity of 1020
Nooooo.....

I waited few more days, added hops and waited more.
It crawled down to 1018 (or it was my imagination)
I bottled it about 9 days ago and had a taste last night. Not bad at all. Has a nice "sweet" after-taste that is well balanced by the smooth bitterness. I like it and those few, who have tasted it, like it too. What bothers me is a bit is this almost watery taste. I think it's a bit thin.

I am probably going to make one more batch and use different yeast.

Next time, I'll use small low gravity starter for dry yeast. It's easy to make so why not.

Back