Looking for feedback on a smokey dark ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josephort

Reaction score
I love smokey beers. I've brewed a couple of rauchbiers in the past few years that came out fantastically. I've also brewed stouts and porters with small quantities of smoked malt to add a little bit of extra complexity. This time, I want to split the difference and brew something that's not a rauch but that presents the smoke as a central flavor. I've come up with the following recipe, which is intended provide a smooth, sweet, chocolatey base to balance the smoke. I started with this beer and brewing recipe but tweaked it to be closer to an American oatmeal stout. Since I've never brewed anything quite like this before, I'd appreciate feedback from any other lovers of smoked, dark beers.

Batch Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 72%
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.015
ABV: 5.9%
AA: 75%
IBU: 26
SRM: 33

7# 2-row
3# smoked malt (either Briess cherrywood or German beech-smoked)
1# flaked oats (for body)
1# flaked wheat (for body & head retention)
1# crystal 60 (for sweetness & flavor)
0.5# chocolate 350L (for color and flavor)
0.5# midnight wheat 550L (for additional color and depth of flavor without too much roastiness)
1 oz any ~9 AA hop @ 60 min (just need some bitterness for balance, hop flavor/aroma should not be prominent)
1 packet S-04 English Ale Yeast (brewing tomorrow and haven't made a starter, so I want to use dry yeast)

Criticism, suggestions, and observations welcome!

I wound up brewing this recipe pretty much exactly as written above, opting for Briess Cherrywood for the smoked malt. I drank the first bottle last night and am basically satisfied with the result. It basically came out like a nice smooth easily-drinkable oatmeal stout with a prominent but not overpowering smokey character. All of the flavors are well-balanced and nothing is too intense. If anything, I kinda wish it was more intense, although I'm not exactly sure what I'd change- maybe more or darker crystal malt, more or more intense dark malt, or maybe just crank everything up to make this a bigger beer. But as is it's a solid, 8/10 daily drinker.

For anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future while planning your own smoked stout or porter- definitely consider using this as a starting point, but also consider trying to make it a little bit bigger or more intense if that's what you're into.

Have you tried a grodziskie?
I've never heard of this before, but I'll definitely want to get my hands on it at some point!

Plus-plus on the Grodziskie. If you use Weyermann oak-smoked wheat and can handle the gooey mash, it can be 100% of the grist without being overwhelmingly smoky.

If you’re looking at tweaking your recipe for more intensity, I might try an English pale malt (like Maris Otter) instead of the 2-row. And maybe throw in a pound of Victory or biscuit. I’d go that direction before upping the crystal.

Back