Looking for critique on my conditioning process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indeedproceed

Reaction score
So I've bottled my last three beers the same way and I'm concerned I'm screwing the pooch somewhere here. I'm going to walk through it and maybe one of you saintly experienced brewers can tell me where I'm doing something completely misguided.

So, starting after brew day:
1) Store in primary (bucket) for three weeks @ ambient temp on my main floor, roughly 68-70 degrees or so.

2) Transfer to secondary, same temp, try to leave out as much of a trub as I can from the primary. If it is a 'short' beer (4-6 weeks) I only keep it for a week or so before I bottle. If it is a longer beer (6 weeks-2 months) I wait 2-3 weeks.

Then, roughly 4 days before bottling:
Put secondary in mini fridge I took the freezer/door racks out of and chill for 48 hours, to about 42-44 degree F.

2 days before bottling:
1. Add 1/2 pack knox gelatin to 1 cup pre-boiled water, let stand @ room temp for 10 mins in small sterilized mason jar
2. Place mason jar into hot pot filled with water, place thermometer in jar and turn on hot pot, allowing gelatin to heat to 170 degrees F
3. Pour gelatin into cold carboy, allow to sit in fridge for 48 more hours

Bottle, allow to sit in basement for 3-4 weeks.

The reason why I'm concerned is because I'm scared all the moving around trying to clear the beer is filtering out too much of the yeast. I've had a batch of three hearted ale conditioning for almost a week now and still no signs of carbonation. I've never had to wait more than 5 days.

If I need to clear up my beer a bit I use Irish Moss during the last 10-15 minutes of my boil, so it doesn't affect my yeast at all. I suppose it's possible that you are knocking all the yeast out of suspension. But at this point I would make sure that the beers are carbonating at a minimum temperature of 70 degrees. So I would first look at what the temperature of your basement is. If that doesn't work, try a different clearing agent in your next brew and see if it carbonates as expected.

I'm a whirlfloc fan, myself. Tablets go in 10 minutes before flameout. I've made a couple of very pretty pilsners with it.

So just an update....I moved my beer to warmer temps for 2 days....chilled one tonight, drank it. Carbonation was awesome, GRHUNTER nailed it. Love you guys.

Back